Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Help to prep for teaching MS

>

puzzle1mom

Help to prep for teaching MS
Old 05-27-2017, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am taking on 7th & 8th grade next year after 20 years of teaching elementary school. Can anyone recommend books for me to read to prep for the development and behavior of the students of this age? I have a 13-year-old myself, but I feel that I need to familiarize myself better with the development of pre-teens and teens so I can be tolerant of behaviors and understand better what they are going through, what they need, etc.

Thank you!

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

A List
Old 05-27-2017, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For middle school, I found Teaching with Love and Logic to be the #1 best book to help with dealign with kids. So many of them LOVE to argue and try to fight with the teacher. I simply say, "Hey, if you want to discuss this I'm available at 12 or 3 pm. (Lunch/after school) If they don't have a pencil, I can say, "Feel free to borrow one or use a marker to write with." I do have a discipline plan with a reflection sheet, so I can document issues. I sometimes see 130 students a day, so I can't recall every incident. I try to keep good records which is sometimes impossible due to time.

I love Michael Linton's Smart Classroom Management website. https://www.smartclassroommanagement.com
It really saved me from a difficult student and a horrible group we had last year. It's basically just common sense. I also love the premise that the best reward we can give to students is to have them be in a great class. I did read Linton's book, but a lot of it was mostly for elementary.

Old favorites are Wong's The First Day of School which I browse through every August. I also bought their newer book on procedures. My main thing is to avoid issues by having iron tight procedures. I have every procedure in writing and posted in my classroom, so I can point to it. I also have our daily agenda posted on the whiteboard with what we are doing. I really feel like I have to run an iron tight ship to keep us on course!

I've liked Setting Limits in the Classroom by ?. However, I feel like I struggle with consequences because we have to refer students to the office to get a detention. You can have documentation and parent contact up the wazoo and kids will still get multiple warnings. (I am not willing to keep them after school myself.) Also, we no longer have a lunch detention, so sometimes it feels like kids get away with a lot.

Be strict and I think you will LOVE middle school. I learn a lot from students about the latest trends, apps, videos, and a host of other weird things that they do and experience. I think having a daughter that age will be a huge help because you might already know the lingo and trends! (Their biggest thing is #snapgoals and snap streaks. If it wasn't for my niece, I would be clueless about that!)
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Nature of the beast
Old 05-27-2017, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

-they're more fickle minded
-it's about personality and popularity
-they luv drama (causing and keeping) it
-they're unprepared (on purpose)

And now the bad:
-their apathy

Goes without saying that not all are like the above. But how might you win them over or transform them?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote