Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Longer Recess

>

RaineeHi

Longer Recess
Old 03-01-2017, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So in Arizona (Phoenix Area) a law has been approved to have longer recess breaks for kids. I am so in favor of this especially since my district only gives the kids a 30 minute lunch break (15 minutes to eat 15 minutes to play). I really think 50 minutes would be so much greater, because these kids need SOME time to work-out their muscles and play, since I hear so many of them play games at home for long periods of time. And even if they don't, they spend so much time sitting and sitting. A 50 minute break in the day would be so much better. (And now I'm ending my vent).

I just wonder, if this will pass at the house, how long it will take districts to implement it.

So my question is, do any of you school staff have schools that have longer or shorter lunch/recess breaks?

Also how does it work for your students?

Does it help them learn better, or does it not matter?

I want to hear what other teachers/school members think.

link to article about bill: http://www.azfamily.com/story/343837...-school-recess

RaineeHi is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-01-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have a 15 minute morning recess, 30 minute lunch recess, and a 15 minute afternoon recess. I wouldn't reduce it. They NEED recess.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

Recess
Old 03-01-2017, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district considers BEFORE school starts recess and brags that we give our kids plenty of time to play!
7more is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our kids get 2 15 minute recesses, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. They get 30 minutes for lunch which is for eating and playing.

We had a 10 min and a 20 min recess the last 2 years. 10 minutes isn't enough, especially in the winter, an 20 minutes can be way too long! Long enough to get in trouble for some of the kids.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

RaineeHi

Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

@everyone, I actually like the idea of it being broken up throughout the day, but our total recess time of 15 minutes of play time (aside from the 15 minutes to eat) just ain't cutting it. Our school has many behavior issues and I think maybe 25% of the disciplinary issues could be curbed if they had maybe 25 minutes to play instead of 10 to 15. Just an extra TEN minutes.

And--kinda venting--a playground would be nice too. Our school doesn't have a playground. We do ages 9 to 14. But I know those 9, 10, and maybe 11 year-old kids would probably love to use the playground.

But what do I know, I'm only a teacher... (/sarcasm).

RaineeHi is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Recess
Old 03-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our kids have a 30 minute lunch break and a 30 minute recess. During the winter, the recess period is a bit shorter, depending on how long the little munchkins take to put on their winter gear.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

BellJ

Recess
Old 03-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have 2 recess periods, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Both are 20 minutes. At first, I hated the missed instructional time. Now, I do not like having to miss our morning recess. Those few minutes of playtime really help focus later.
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-05-2017, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our kids get 25 minutes for lunch and 25 minutes for recess. Per the district rules, they only have to get 15 for each. Besides the recess time, the great majority of our kids get school lunch so by the time they all get in there and get through the line, if there are only 15 minutes some kids will only be getting 2-3 minutes to actually eat! My current principal changed it to 25 for our school several years ago. We're getting a new P next year- I really hope she chooses to keep the current schedule, but I'm not holding my breath.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

recess supervision?
Old 05-29-2017, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Background- K-8 school; K-6 have recesses; might be rotating 6 with 7/8 next year, so no recess for 6.

I completely agree that students NEED to play. However, some issues that we deal with are:

1. Students who can't negotiate/regulate peer relationships.
2. Parents and administrators expectations that teachers will "manage" things so that students don't have conflicts.
3. Teachers stand recess duties.
4. Aides stand lunch recess duties.
5. No consistency with which rules are enforced and level of supervision.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

recess
Old 05-29-2017, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Recess is not mandatory in my district. They get 20 minutes for recess. It's separate from their lunch. We use that time for kids to make-up work if they've been absent since in most cases the parents won't help them do it and they need the lessons.

While I do agree that moving around is necessary, they can do that simply by doing a "brain break" or other movement without having to go outside for an extended period of time.

I also give minimal homework (10 minutes 3 times a week), so kids have all evening to play outside once I've worked them hard all day.

SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have a 30min lunch followed by 30-40min recess. It's a nice break mid day. Technically, we are only mandated a 15min recess but every school has their own norms.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherTip

Hb2082
Old 06-07-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You can look up the status to any bills moving through the House or Senate. I was really exited about this bill because most of the schools in my district have admin. that have cut recess to one 10-15 minute break at lunch (I saw one grade level get 7 minutes).
The bill passed through the House and is so far moving through the senate, however it was amended. They removed wording to require a certain amount of minutes. As it is written now, schools just need to provide some sort of recess. This means nothing will change at my school.
TeacherTip is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our new P is shortening recess to 15 minutes. Not only do I not really think this is best for the kids, but it also means our staff lunch time is 10 minutes shorter . New P thinks this will cut down on behavior problems because kids will have less unstructured time.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Recess
Old 06-08-2017, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We always say the morning recess "doesn't count." Not everyone gets it - some are late or eating breakfast, etc.
Kids have 20 minutes at lunch and a 20 minute afternoon recess.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote