Teacher News & Opinion

House Bill 610

>

Clarity

House Bill 610
Old 02-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's really beginning.
House Bill 610 makes some large changes. Inform yourselves.
This bill will effectively start the school voucher system to be used by children ages 5-17, and starts the defunding process of public schools.
In addition the bill will eliminate the Elementary and Education Act of 1965, which is the nation's educational law and provides equal opportunity in education.
It would repeal ESSA (Every Students Succeeds Act):
ESSA is a big comprehensive program that covers programs for struggling learners, AP classes, ESL classes, classes for minorities such as Native Americans, Rural Education, Education for the Homeless, School Safety (Gun-Free schools), Monitoring and Compliance and Federal Accountability Programs.
The Bill also abolishes the Nutritional Act of 2012 (No Hungry Kids Act) which provides nutritional standards in school breakfast and lunch.
The bill has no wording whatsoever protecting SN kids, no mention of IDEA and FAPE.
Some things ESSA does for Children with Disabilities
-Ensures access to the general education curriculum.
-Ensures access to accommodations on assessments.
-Ensures concepts of Universal Design for Learning
-Includes provisions that require local education agencies to provide evidence-based
interventions in schools with consistently underperforming subgroups.
-Requires states in Title I plans to address how they will improve conditions for learning including reducing incidents of bullying and harassment in schools, overuse of discipline practices and reduce the use of aversive behavioral interventions (such as restraints and seclusion).
Please call your representative and ask him/her to vote NO on House Bill 610 (HR 610) introduced by three Republican reps.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-26-2017, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This may get moved to the politics board. I actually googled it to make sure it was real and it is. The entire thing is insane. It would effectively dismantle public education. To say I'm terrified is an understatement. I can't even fathom...
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know people consider this "politics" but politics actually affects our day to day lives! I'm glad you posted in the lounge, because the more people who see this the better. Teachers need to be informed about the changes ahead.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Bill 610-thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For a while now I have thought that the government was moving back to the time when the wealthy class ruled and the rest of us worked for them.. This bill tells me my thoughts aren't wrong. I read that the Secretaries were put in to dismantle the departments they are charged with. I guess this is going to be a rough 4 years.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 02-26-2017, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for posting this. I've passed the info along to some colleagues who are politically active.

chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-27-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for posting
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

RaineeHi

Thank you
Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is such an important topic, and I'm going to do my best to share this information with my family, friends, and co-workers. Thanks for bringing this subject to light. *bookmarks discussion*
RaineeHi is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Now just looking at 1 part of what you posted
Old 06-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

which by the way is very broad and confusing. Do you want the whole bill thrown out and left alone? Is there a part you don't want changed? Is the whole bill wrong? Is the former bill perfect as is?

Just one change to the current bill is:

SEC. 203. LIMITS ON CERTAIN NUTRITIONAL REQUIREMENTS.

Quote:
Section 9(a)(1)(A)(i) of the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act (42 U.S.C. 1758(a)(1)(A)(i)) is amended by inserting before the semicolon the following: “, to establish a calorie maximum for individual school lunches, or to prohibit a child from eating a lunch provided by the child’s parent or legal guardian”.
Insert the red part into the part that exists currently exists:

Quote:

§1758. Program requirements
(a) Nutritional requirements
(1)(A) Lunches served by schools participating in the school lunch program under this chapter shall meet minimum nutritional requirements prescribed by the Secretary on the basis of tested nutritional research, except that the minimum nutritional requirements-
(i) shall not be construed to prohibit the substitution of foods to accommodate the medical or other special dietary needs of individual students; to establish a calorie maximum for individual school lunches, or to prohibit a child from eating a lunch provided by the child’s parent or legal guardian” and
(ii) shall, at a minimum, be based on the weekly average of the nutrient content of school lunches.
Isn't this a good change?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-bill/610/text

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?r...edition:prelim)
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote