First-year, out-of-state ESL teacher: how do I improve my odds in north Jersey? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

First-year, out-of-state ESL teacher: how do I improve my odds in north Jersey?

>

Soalai

Soalai

First-year, out-of-state ESL teacher: how do I improve my odds in north Jersey?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone, I'm looking for advice about moving a new teaching career in New Jersey (no more than an hour and 20 minutes or so from NYC by public transit).

I'm about to complete my student teaching and M.Ed. in Maryland. I will be certified in pre-K to 12 ESL, but I will only teach elementary or middle, especially PK-2. I also have a bachelor's in linguistics. I've taken the Praxis and edTPA.

My current plan is to apply for a NJ CEAS this fall, teach in Maryland for a year, and then start job hunting in New Jersey for 2018-2019. I'm wondering how hard it is for an out-of-state candidate, with an M.Ed. and a year of paid teaching experience, to get a job teaching ESL. My understanding is that ESL has a teacher shortage, but I've looked on dozens of school district websites and none of them have openings as of now. I hear New Jersey is very competitive and I know they may turn up their noses at someone from another state without tenure. I also know many ESL programs in NJ are bilingual, which I cannot offer. Any tips or timeline? What would make it easier for me? How do I get my name out there?

To summarize:
What I Want
Full-time ESL teaching job in NJ
Elementary (strongly preferred) or middle
Hudson/Bergen/Essex/Union/Middlesex County

What I Will Have
M.Ed. Curriculum & Instruction from University of Maryland
A year of teaching experience in Maryland
NJ CEAS
B.A. Linguistics
Great edTPA and Praxis TESOL scores
Some Spanish, if that matters

Will anyone want to hire me? How competitive am I? How can I make myself more attractive to school districts as an out-of-state candidate? Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated!

FashionGirl

It's tough in North NJ
Old 06-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my current area and it is very hard to find a job in a public school in NJ. Most of the jobs - especially in elementary - are very hard to land and unfortunately, nepotism and connections still prevail. I would strongly advise staying away from the charter schools for they work you to death and there is no union or pension savings. Hudson and Passaic County schools are always looking for ESL teachers due to the high immigration of Spanish speaking students - especially those who are also qualified to teach math and language arts. Bergen County is very hard to secure a job without connections or luck, but it is not impossible.

I would also recommend applying for middle or secondary school positions as well, for it may give you greater options.
FashionGirl is offline   Reply With Quote