How to Respond Why I am Leaving Teaching? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

How to Respond Why I am Leaving Teaching?

>

lv2read

How to Respond Why I am Leaving Teaching?
Old 06-14-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My contract did NOT get renewed and I have chosen to leave my district and teaching. Now I have to decide how to answer the question why I left without sounding bitter. Any suggestions are really appreciated. TIA

lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

How to put a positive spin
Old 06-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suggest being honest, but being positive as you look forward. You want to admit what happened, but not go into details. Instead spin the conversation on what you are planning on doing next. Are you planning on learning a brand new skill? Are you looking for jobs? If someone asks, just say your contract didn't get renewed and spend your time focusing on your plan of action what you are doing or going to do.

In the rare chances someone does ask you why, just admit you don't know (even if you do know) and get the conversation back onto what you are doing now. You don't have explain why you are leaving teaching or why your district didn't renew your contract. All you need to do is spin the conversation in a positive way.

I suggest looking at script elevator pitches on Google to see how you can do this. Ashley Stahl (she's a career coach) has a really good one I talked about on here. She says the elevator pitch is a great way to handle moments when people go "so what are you doing now?" or "how is your job?" to you.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm planning on saying "I don't like what teaching has become with the focus on high-stakes testing." A friend of mine has said before No Child Left Behind it was what can I do for this child (to help them), now it's what can the child do for me (increased test scores, membership in different sub-groups) to "count more" towards making AYP.

Education has become big business. Big business knows this and would like to profit from it. Serving the public (others) has been replaced by increasing share holder value.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote