Help

ESL/LEP

Ell

>

Katydid_123

Ell
Old 02-08-2017, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an intern at a school that is very diverse and other half of the class are ELL students. One of are new students has very little english and has a hard time with comprehension and processing Spanish. I have little know Spanish background. The other students help but they talk in Spanish. Any Suggestions?

Katydid_123 is offline   Reply With Quote

griffon

Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure I understand everything you said, but I'll try to help some.

It's okay for the students to speak in their native language. Just not all the time. If you're teaching or they're supposed to be working, then no. If it's their time, such as between classes or assignments, and everyone else is allowed to talk, then yes.

I've had several students who spoke little to no English. I realized two things very quickly. First, it's unfair for other students to take time from their learning to translate everything. Set that student up with an Ipad or computer with translation apps or a bilingual dictionary and leave them to it. Second, those students who you think don't understand you? They know a lot more than you think.

If this particular class has small group time, or individual learning times, pull the student to the side and go over basic English and phonic skills. Any student who's new to the country shouldn't be expected to do grade level work anyway. (Math- yes, maybe; Language Arts- no.) Hope this helps!
griffon is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Thanks
Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks this helps me!
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote