Help

Career Decisions

Switching from finance to teaching..

>

yogi-

Switching from finance to teaching..
Old 10-20-2016, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am looking for advice from this great community. I am looking at changing careers and becoming a teacher!!!

My backstory is that I graduated with a masters degree in business, and earned my certified public accountant license(CPA) while working full time at a public accounting firm. This took years and hard work, however, I hated every minute of it. I dreaded getting up every morning and hated being in an office with people who did not care about making a difference.

To keep myself sane, I have been mentoring and tutoring children. I have always had a passion for teaching and being in the classroom. My goal has always been to teach, but I thought I would get my PhD and teach at the college level.

Now I am seriously considering going into k-12. I have talked to teacher friends and they think I would be a great fit but I have also talked to teachers/principals that say the state of education is so bad that I should stay put.

I am aware that I will be taking a pay cut and the hours will be long, but does anyone have any other advice? I was considering becoming a substitute teacher to feel it out and get a feel for which grade level would be best. I understand how to become certified in my state, but is the first year as a teacher learn as you go?

Also, I see a lot of teachers leaving the profession and I am curious what makes people stay. I know that with any job there is good and bad, but this job makes me feel so excited!

Thanks for advice good and bad.

yogi- is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Old 10-24-2016, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teaching is a tough profession and it gets harder every year. The paperwork and the hours are insane. Teacher evaluations often make absolutely no sense. However it can also be a great career if you know what you are getting into. I like your idea of subbing to see which grade you would like to teach. Keep in mind that as hard as subbing is, it won't give you a true picture of a teachers workload.

Before you decide to change your career and take a pay cut you might want to try living on a teacher's take home salary. Also keep in mind that some states don't have their teachers pay into Social Security so a retired teacher will not be able to take much (if any) SS. Make sure that you really think about your decision before you make the change. Good luck.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

AltaTeacher

Same career path!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi,

I also am a CPA! I graduated with a degree in Accounting and received a Master's in Public Administration. I have been teaching for less than five years and I recently completed a two-year alternative certification program. I am a middle grades math teacher.

There are no words to express the enormity of the first year. Tax season pales in comparison. However, the business skills learned as an accountant: being extremely organized, always having a paper trail, communicating effectively with parents, peers, and supervisors/admin, seeking professional education, etc. have all served me well as a teacher. In fact, when pouring over data assessment reports, I find that I am using my analysis skills as well!

My keys to success have been investing the time and commitment at the beginning of the year to classroom management, procedures, expectations and discipline and staying organized. NEVER let them see you sweat!

All in all, I am so happy that I made the transition to teaching. My DH says that I race out the door each morning to get to my kids (I do!). I definitely see myself teaching for another 5-7 years and perhaps going the Admin route.

HTH! Best of luck in your decision making.
AltaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote