Help

First Grade

Spelling practice

>

pausebutton

Spelling practice
Old 06-10-2017, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please share how you get your kids to practice their spelling words.

This year, had a lot of kids choosing the same way to practice their words almost everyday even though they had different choices.... so I'm going to try out just putting out one individual and one partner option for each day of the week. They can choose whether to do a partner activity or work alone. This is during workshop time so the whole class isn't doing it at once.

I would love to hear what others do!

Mondays:
Alone
Magic words--write the word with a white crayon, then color over with color OR rainbow write words with crayons.

Partner
Create and switch Word searches using spelling words

Tuesdays

Alone
Pipe Cleaner Words - use pipe cleaners and bend and form to make letters used to write out the words.

Partner
Guess the word - partner traces on back, or air traces or finger spells using sign language

Wednesdays

Alone
Paint (or Hair Gel) Bags - Pour paint into a ziplock freezer bag and seal. Use fingertips to write words on bag. To erase, simply squish bag and you are ready for the next word.

Partner
Work together to use Magnet letters on cookie sheet to spell as many words as possible

Thursdays

Alone
Write spelling words using stencils

Partner
Partner spelling test - White board and markers

Fridays

Alone
Wiki stix and then doing a crayon etching

Partner test - Pour sand, salt, or oatmeal into a shallow pan or dish. Trace the words with your finger.

Last edited by pausebutton; 06-10-2017 at 04:16 PM..
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

We do...
Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

magnet write (spell using magnet letters), stamp a word, rainbow write (writing words in a different color based on the roll of the die. Each number equals a color), picture write (make a picture by writing your words, one letter in each block on graph paper or I have whiteboards with graph boxes), as well as the old "Look, cover, write, check" method. We also use Spelling City on our IPads.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for sharing!

I also really like the way this teacher organizes hers. I may do the same:
https://youtu.be/m4C12n1ysaI

I like the must do/may do format.
Also, all of her word work options are individual... that would be good in terms of chatting... hmmm.

Some of the different choices include letter stamps,squiggle spelling, hidden picture, and keyboard spelling.

Last edited by pausebutton; 06-18-2017 at 05:43 PM..

pausebutton

Version 2
Old 06-19-2017, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I changed the list a little to use the materials I already have, limit potential messes, and avoid xeroxing copies.

Here's what I have for this list:
Blank journals, crayons, laminated word search grids, pipe cleaners, laminated sign language cards, index cards, magnet letters, cookie sheets, white board with markers, and rice.

Mondays:
Alone - Magic words--write the word with a white crayon, then color over with color OR rainbow write words with crayons.
Partner - Create and switch Word searches using spelling words. Write with expo markers

Tuesdays:
Alone - Pipe Cleaner Words - use pipe cleaners and bend and form to make letters used to write out the words.
Partner - Guess the word - partner air traces or finger spells using sign language

Wednesdays:
Alone - Picture cue cards. Pick 5 index cards. Write a word on the lined side and draw a picure cue on the blank side. Next, flip all cards on the picture side and try to spell each word using the picture cues. I want students to save these cards from week to week so they will have a bank of words to quiz with.
Partner - Work together to use Magnet letters on cookie sheet to spell as many words as possible

Thursdays:
Alone - Write spelling words using stencils
Partner - Partner spelling test - White board and markers

Fridays:
Alone - Hidden words - Write all of your words in your smallest handwriting spread throughout a blank page. Then draw a picture over top using crayons.
Partner test - Pour rice onto cookie sheet. Trace the words with your finger to make word. Shake tray to erase.

Last edited by pausebutton; 06-19-2017 at 03:40 AM..

irises

Thanks for sharing the link
Old 06-19-2017, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like her ghost words. I too have students work alone during word work. I still prefer the drawers as storage rather than bins. Good luck with it!

irises is offline   Reply With Quote