Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Upper elementary centers

>

readandweep

Upper elementary centers
Old 06-18-2017, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm starting a new job in a 3rd-5th behavior disorders room.

From what I understand my students are near or at grade level.

I'm thinking of doing centers and/or guided reading and math.

Most of my experience has been with first-grade guided reading, but how does that look in the upper grades?

More paper pencil work? More accountability for hands-on activities? Longer work rotations?

Thanks in advance.

readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I think that this is where
Old 06-18-2017, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the framework for the Daily 5 would work best.

You wouldn't have to do all 5 but the concept is the same and there is very little to prep. If you only have time for three or four, that is fine. If you want 2 stations and a whole group, that is good too.

Word Work
Work on Writing
Reading to Self or with others
Listen to Reading-you, others or digital sources

Plus the Teacher conference-1:1 or small group

You can add a Computer/tablet station or make one or more of the above a Computer station. Word work or work on writing can be spelling, journaling or a combination of both. You can use a tic-tac-toe board or menu to keep from making new choices each week. Choices also make the older kids feel they have some power or control as well.

I would not attempt those stations with a lot of prep work or copying, etc for you.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-20-2017, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My Daily 5 is similar to LottaLove. However, I found my kids couldn't maintain Work on Writing for the entire 25 minutes so this is what I did:
1) Read to Self
2) Read with Someone
3) Work on Writing/Keyboarding. They respond to reading for half the time and to do typing.com for the other half. They need the keyboarding practice and I want them thinking about what they read. I did the First 20 Days and got the Reader's Response and prompts from that. I would really recommend the First 20 Days, it goes hand in hand with Daily 5.
4) Listen to reading. I use Epic on the iPads or desktops. We had kids bring in ear buds.
5) Word Work. I bought a bunch of stuff from TpT, but I really like Making Words for Big Kids, Scattergories and I do Boggle. Those are low prep, engaging and naturally differentiate themselves.
6) Math. Any games that I introduced in math, I put in a bin labeled "games we know how to play" and I pulled from there. I pulled out a rounding game in May.

And then meet with me.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote