Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

3rd grade common core reading

>

sandycheeks

3rd grade common core reading
Old 05-31-2017, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to be tutoring a child going into 3rd. I wanted to preteach the most important topics this summer going into fall.I have the standards, reources, and materials. I just want to know, as a 3rd grade teacher, what do you see children struggling with most in 3rd grade in reading and writing? What are the most difficult topics that would be beneficial to review?

She isnt struggling apparently. Mom just wants to prevent slide.
I will be assessing. I just want build a foundation for concepts to come...build up the schema.

sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Old 05-31-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reading comprehension is where you need to focus. Our students have the most trouble answering questions where you can't find the direct answer in the text. This includes drawing conclusions, inferring, making predictions and summarization questions.

Just learning to identify the different types of questions can be helpful for a bright student who reads well. Then show them the types of questions where the answer can be found in the text and others where the answer come from thinking about the character and the plot. Hope that makes sense.

Just showing her a released test so she sees the format can be helpful. If she will have to answer on a bubble sheet then allow her to practice answering in that format. Teach her how important it is to do so neatly, with the correct type of pencil, choosing only one answer, having no extra scratches on the paper..... You get the idea.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

tutoring
Old 06-01-2017, 02:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If she isn't struggling per say, I'd just keep up on her reading skills and writing. Maybe have her choose books to read. Keep it enjoyable! Discuss what she's read . Maybe some graphic organizers/story maps for retelling. Our third grade teachers use lots of these. When I tutored in the summer, we also did some science type experiments for nonfiction reading too-reading directions to make something or an experiment. I know Slime is the big hit right now! We often spent time outside to do these

Keep a journal to practice the mechanics (capitals, punctuation, spelling) are always concerns we hear from third grade teachers that second graders are weak on.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Summer slide
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use RACER as a strategy for written responses. I see a big improvement in their answers when they get used to using this.
Also locating answers within the text, and backing up their responses.
Multiplication, division, and fractions - all big skills in 3rd. A good introduction would be awesome.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote