Help

Second Grade

Mailboxes

>

MPage

Mailboxes
Old 06-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Going from third grade departmentalized to second grade self contained. I'm beyond excited. I've always used a filing crate with numbered folders to sort graded papers and return each Friday.

However, I'm planning to use mailboxes this year. How do you use yours? Looking for routines and procedures. Do you just return papers there or is it a drop off place too.

Would love to hear how you use student mailboxes!!!!

MPage is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Mailboxes
Old 06-23-2017, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to have mailboxes in second grade but found them challenging/time consuming to stuff each day. I also found that students would pull out their mail and constantly pull out someone else's mail by accident. UGH.

I have folders for each student (Nicky's Folders) that say KEEP AT HOME on one side and RETURN TO SCHOOL on the other side. I have my students sit on the carpet and I pass out work once a week and they put it in their folders. It takes no time at all - and kids even look at their work when it gets passed out. When I did mailboxes, it felt like they just shoved it in their folder/backpack and didn't care what it was. Doing it as a group also allows me to explain any flyers/notes that go home to everyone. I've been doing this for a while now and will never go back to mailboxes.

I should note that I used square mailboxes where you put the mail in horizontally (not like a hanging file folder). If I had to go back to mailboxes, I would use hanging files.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 06-23-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I never did mailboxes. I just place any papers I am returning or anything else that needs to go home on their desk either in the afternoon after they have left or in the morning before they come in. This includes homework for that day. Each folder has a "stay at home" and a "return to school" side. I label these at the beginning of the year. As part of our routine, I train them to come in in the morning and place any papers on their desk in their home folder. I try to send papers home as quickly as possible as immediate feedback is important. Parents know to check their folders daily. You also don't have mailboxes taking up valuable classroom space.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

MPage

Thank you
Old 06-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have seen so many classroom tours with mailboxes I thought I was missing something. Filing crates and Nicky folders has always worked great. Thanks for the reassurance.
MPage is offline   Reply With Quote