ESL/LEP

Second Grade Dual Language

>

K12ESLteacher

Second Grade Dual Language
Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hope I will get some replies!

So, I am teaching 2 grade dual language next year and it is my first time teaching such grade and model. I have taught ENL for 7 years as a push-in and pull-out teacher only. In any event, I need some advice from teachers who have taught dual language.

The system at my school is as follows: I will teach English component while the other teacher will teach Spanish component. My class, let's name it 2A, will be with me M, W and F one week, while the other teacher's class, let's name it 2B, will be with me T and Th same week. Next week, obviously, her class will be with me M, W, and F, while my class will be with her T and Th.

It is no brainer that our two classrooms should be more or less mirror images of each other so the students do not have to adjust to two different classroom setups. With that said, my questions are:

1. How can we set up routines and procedures that work well, easy to implement and follow through?
2. How can we manage the flow of paper (homework, for example) in each classroom?
3. What carpet expectations can we implement?

Anything else would be greatly appreciated.

I am rather excited to be teaching 2 grade dual language but at times I feel so scared to be teaching 60 kids!

K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Dl
Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach in a bilingual classroom, so that is different. However, here are my thoughts:
Think of it as departmentalizing: students will adjust to the differences in your rooms the same way they adjust to differences between their classroom and P.E. or other electives. Your classroom is your own. It does not have to be a mirror image of your partner's room. In fact, I'd advise against it, because the purpose of your room is different than the purpose of hers. It will communicate the setting is for English.
The same goes for rules and expectations - we have a school wide deal, so ours are mostly the same across the board. Teachers might add a more specific rule to help manage their classrooms. Have a procedure for everything! How do they come in, where do they sit, where does their stuff go, etc. I'd advise trays or wall pockets for each class (maybe each subject?) to collect papers. My mailboxes are actually 12 pocket hanging storage file pockets and I have them hanging along a wall with command hooks. I put student work in there or have a mailperson put it in there each day!
I don't know if you're actually bilingual, but I have an id tag on a lanyard. One says English and the other side says Spanish. It's helpful for accountability did yourself and the kids to know what language is "allowed" in a fun and easy to see way.

If I think if more, I'll come back and post again!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote