Second Grade

2 Grade Dual Language

>

K12ESLteacher

2 Grade Dual Language
Old 06-28-2017, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hope I will get some replies!

So, I am teaching 2 grade dual language next year and it is my first time teaching such grade and model. I have taught ENL for 7 years as a push-in and pull-out teacher only. In any event, I need some advice from teachers who have taught dual language.

The system at my school is as follows: I will teach English component while the other teacher will teach Spanish component. My class, let's name it 2A, will be with me M, W and F one week, while the other teacher's class, let's name it 2B, will be with me T and Th same week. Next week, obviously, her class will be with me M, W, and F, while my class will be with her T and Th.

It is no brainer that our two classrooms should be more or less mirror images of each other so the students do not have to adjust to two different classroom setups. With that said, my questions are:

1. How can we set up routines and procedures that work well, easy to implement and follow through?
2. How can we manage the flow of paper (homework, for example) in each classroom?
3. What carpet expectations can we implement?

Anything else would be greatly appreciated.

I am rather excited to be teaching 2 grade dual language but at times I feel so scared to be teaching 60 kids!

K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

Have fun!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught the English side of a dual program for a couple of years. I love it! However, our kids switch mid-day every day, studying reading and language arts with me, and math, science, and Spanish with the other teacher. It helped to keep our routine constant. You are really going to have a challenge with the back and forth days! I think your best bet is to make sure that each kid has a bin or box that can be carried back and forth between classes for supplies and texts that are shared between classes. Papers to go home will go in a folder that is carried back and forth in their bins. You and the other teacher are going to have to be a tight team, to make sure you are communicating about what is to be taught, how lessons went, what needs review, who is doing well, what seating arrangement needs to be changed, etc. I hope you have an awesome teaching partner like I did!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

Just thought I would add
Old 06-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We found it helpful to color code the groups, and then color code matching supplies when we could.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote