Help

Fifth Grade

Beginning of the year multiplication

>

Reaching4Star

Beginning of the year multiplication
Old 07-07-2017, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been struggling for how to assess and work with my students on assessing their multiplication skills. It's always a continuous practice with the standards, but I want a better way to have them practice and master their skills. All thoughts welcomed! Thanks!

Reaching4Star is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 07-08-2017, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One thing to consider is can they figure out how to solve a 1 digit by 1 digit, 2 digit by 1 digit, 2 digit by 2 digit, etc.
I look at how they are solving the problem. Are they skip counting, drawing tallies and grouping, using the traditional algorithm, the area model, etc.? Then, I try to push them to solve it in the fastest way possible and then push them to the next challenging set of problems.
I've had some kids solving really challenging problems with the area model and then checking with a calculator. They thought it was so fun.
It is a lot of watching them and taking notes, grouping kids that solve in the same way, and then teaching them how to take it to the next step.
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote