Help

Second Grade

Help!! Returning to 2nd

>

coconutgrl11

Help!! Returning to 2nd
Old 06-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help!! I am returning to 2nd grade after teaching upper grade for 10 years!!! I need help with what I need to do the 1st week of school!! Routines, classroom management...any other ideas will be greatly appreciated! I am stressing out and need a refresher course!

coconutgrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachmom68

Routines and procedures
Old 06-21-2017, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. Have a routine or procedure for everything! How you want students to move from place to place, how to get supplies, how to clean up, how to start and end activities, how to get their attention, positive and negative consequences for behavior choices.
2. Practice routines and procedures daily and as often as necessary.
beachmom68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

2nd grade
Old 06-22-2017, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In addition to beachmom's ideas, remember second graders still think of you sort of as a mom! They still want to please you, and (mostly) don't come with attitude.

They love to know about your life outside of school.

Shorter attention spans so keep lessons short and to the point. They need to move.

They still cry.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Some ideas
Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have the students line up (ready for lunch, special classes, etc.) Take a picture of that perfect line. Print it out, laminate it, place it near the door, so you can just point to it if the line is not as it shoud be.

I am strongly in favor of white boards for each student so that when you ask a question, you expect a response from every student. These can be a simple as white card stock laminated and cut into 4 pieces, foam plates, or actual boards. There is much to be said for the laminated card stock. It doesn't make a noise when it is dropped and they aren't so tempted to draw pictures to color. They can keep it and a fine line black erasable marker in their desk ready for immediate use.

I like a Personal Vocabulary and Spelling Book made for each child. Six sheets of lined paper printed on both sides + a colored cover sheet will do it. That is enough for one page for each letter of the alphabet (Use one page for WXYZ and one for QR. Fold the stack of papers down the middle. On each page write the letters of the alphabet. If they need help spelling a word, they get the book out, open it to the right page, hold up their hand, and you come and spell the word. Missed spelling words (from tests or written work) can also be put there. You can also buy a dictionary like this with basic words already included and space for more.

I suggest a rule that when a visitor comes in the room, there is no talking.

Sorry, more than you wanted to know probably. They are just ideas.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

practice
Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That's a super sweet age. They're definitely pleasers.

For routines, just practice, practice, practice. Telling them is fine, but you tell then practice. Do that for every routine you want them to learn. Think through your day and see what those are. A few would be: morning routine (I have a poster on the wall that lists them), lining up, announcements, cafeteria, recess, visitors, discipline, going to activities, read aloud, afternoon routine (another poster).

I teach 3rd, but I would do the same with 2nd.

Pointing out ones doing something right will make the others take notice and follow suit quickly, so I do that a lot. I use a clip chart for classroom management and it's been good for my class. For anyone who doesn't clip down at the end of the day, I give a piece of candy (Skittle, miniature marshmallow, etc... - just something small that I can hand out quickly). If they do clip down, I call the parents to nip it in the bud.

Don't stress - I know teachers who moved to 2nd and loved it so much they retired from there.

By the way, I only spent 1-2 days (depending on what day of the week we start school) doing "getting to know you" activities, then I move into regular lessons. The kids really WANT to start the lessons after the summer.

SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

Say what you mean
Old 06-25-2017, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

And mean what you say... Lead by example, this is what I see that works best especially at the beginning of the year. If you ask them to use a quiet voice, model how you want it done, usually a couple of times, then what ever the consequence, follow through with it if they do not comply. It usually takes once for them to known that I mean business. Classroom management is a must. Second graders love to try to get around the rules, make the rules and stick with them.
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 06-25-2017, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Model, model, model even if it means putting stuff aside for a minute. Actions say more than words.

Example: This year I could not get my kids to read. I would make myself blue in the face scolding and redirecting. Then I started reading quietly at a student desk without saying a word. They picked up on it and before you knew it they were hooked too. Sometimes it meant that I waited for my conference time to send that quick E-mail, but it worked. This ended up applying across the board. I was able to stamp out a lot of undesirable behaviors by quietly modeling what I wanted. They're always watching. Make sure they see what you want them to see.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Chipmunk15

Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I moved down from 3rd 2 years ago and it was surprising how literal they are. If you say it, that is what they think you mean. It took a while to adjust my sense of humor, but they love jokes. This is the height of Santa and they are losing teeth like crazy. My class loved brag tags and attention grabbers.
Chipmunk15 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrgrl28

Thank you!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm in the same boat and these are all great suggestions! I love this community!
tchrgrl28 is offline   Reply With Quote