The Job Search

Is this a job offer?

>

Guest57

Guest57

Is this a job offer?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I wanted to get some input from others who have been through the hiring process. I had an interview two weeks ago. The following day, my references were contacted and I received an email from the secretary saying that she needed paperwork (an application, transcripts, background check) to submit to the superintendent "in consideration of hire as a teacher." She said the principal wanted to forward my name. At the time, I thought this meant I was being moved to the next round of the hiring process. I did not view it as a job offer. I sent along the paperwork but never said I was accepting an offer (because I didn't think I had received one). I spoke with the secretary again yesterday and asked if there was going to be another round of interviews. She said no and that I was "the candidate." I asked if I was going to hear something official from the principal and she said that I would today. He did not contact me.

Do you think this was a job offer? I don't know the salary, benefits, etc... those were questions I planned to ask upon receiving an offer. I am going to be a first year teacher and I am not familiar with how the hiring process usually works. I am going to try to clear everything up tomorrow but I'm hoping they are not going to be upset with me for asking for time to think about it (I have other opportunities as well, and until my conversation yesterday thought this was all very much still up in the air).

ThePoet

Yes
Old 06-27-2017, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, if they are not doing any more rounds of interviews, and she said you were the candidate, you have the job. The principal passes on to HR and the Board who they want, and they will need your paperwork. The same thing happened to me, and I forwarded transcripts. HR called about 4 days later with the "offer." They need your paperwork first to calculate your pay.

Best of luck!!!
ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest57

Guest57

Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your response! Do you think that it will be okay for me to ask for time to think about it? I don't feel that I said anything that would seem like an official acceptance, and because I would need to move I need to know the pay before accepting.

ThePoet

Definitely!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They gave me time to even go to another interview the next week. HR is usually really helpful. You definitely want to know pay, benefits, etc. before accepting, and they will have a formal discussion with you about those things (usually over phone).
ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When they call with an official offer they should tell you about pay. Benefits are pretty standard in each district,if this is a public school job.

Of course you can thank them and tell them you need a few days to think about it.

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 06-28-2017, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Nothing is formal until you have signed the contract. It is ok to ask for a little time to think it over before accepting, but be aware that they need to know fairly quickly because they will need to move with other candidates if you don't accept. A day or two should be enough to decide.

You might be able to find the salary yourself. Many districts have a salary schedule listed on their website somewhere. Look for it. If it is a public school, salary is often dependent on how many years of experience you have, and also sometimes on how many post grad credits you have, and if you have a masters or not. It often not negotiable. But, you should be able to figure out pretty easily where you fall on the salary schedule. If it's a private school, salary might be negotiated and depend on the candidate.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest57

Guest57

Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all for the input! I have been told I will receive a formal written offer by tomorrow and will then have up to 7 days to sign. This morning, I had an interview at my dream school that I believe went very well. Fingers crossed!!

Tessa1

Old 07-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi!
How did you go with your other interview?
Tessa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest57

Guest57

Interview
Old 07-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi!

I ended up being offered the job at my dream school and I accepted! I am very excited. I let the first school know right away and they were very understanding.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Tessa1

Old 07-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So awesome to hear! Congrats! What grade will you be teaching?

Tessa1 is offline   Reply With Quote