Would Journalism credits count towards my 6th Grade Language Arts Certification? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Would Journalism credits count towards my 6th Grade Language Arts Certification?

>

teachme213

teachme213

Would Journalism credits count towards my 6th Grade Language Arts Certification?
Old 06-29-2017, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach in NJ.

I already have my Elementary K-6 cert and want to move forward into a 6th grade Language Arts position. For that, I was told that I need my English Language Arts/Literacy Grades 5 8 Standard Certificate (Endorsement Code: 1106).

Well unfortunately, looking at my college transcript I only have 7 ENG credits (NJ says I need to have 15 subject credits--My master's program pedagogy classes don't count). I was however a Journalism major in college and took TONS of writing classes...would these count towards the 15 English credits requirement?

I have no one to ask, and the only way NJ will tell me is if I pay the non-refundable $115 application fee.

JaySilver

Old 07-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure how it works in NJ, but I can tell you about my personal experience. Here in KY, I received my BA in Journalism and then went on to receive my MA in Teaching English Middle Grades 5-9. As a graduate student, I had to take two graduate-level English courses and that's it.
JaySilver is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

English Cert
Old 07-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in Florida and already have my professional certificate for K-6 in FL and Pre-K-6 in CT. I recently took the certification test for English grades 5-9 and am now certified in English also. I didn't need to submit anything else, they already have my transcripts on file (couldn't tell you how many English classes I took). Don't know if having the professional certificate makes a difference or not. Does anyone in the superintendent's office able to help you?
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote