Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

no teacher's guide or reading program...overwhelming

>

PindleLou

no teacher's guide or reading program...overwhelming
Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, my district used to use Storytown for reading. It wasn't awesome, but it gave me a good framework and kept me on track to get everything in. Now the district has gone to just providing books from Scholastic for us to choose from. There are cards to go with many of the books for suggestions on how to teach using the book. There doesn't seem to be any set writing or language lessons. I guess I'm supposed to gather up all the materials myself come up with my own scope and sequence for ELA.

I don't know where to begin. I don't have a phd in curriculum writing like the teams of people who put together those reading/language arts programs...I feel like I'm going to have to make everything up on my own. I don't think I can do that efficiently and I don't think I'll get everything covered!! What do other teachers do?

PindleLou is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-13-2017, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all, welcome to PT!

I can see where you are coming from. My district has never had a basal for language arts during the 12 years that I've been teaching. I like the flexibility, but it's also all that I've ever known. I use the guided reading format based on Jan Richardson's stuff and I like a lot of Lucy Calkin's writing units. This is the curriculum map that I put together for myself for this coming year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Snapshot of 2017-2018 (9) (1) (1).pdf (117.8 KB, 63 views)
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Evan-Moor has published some great teacher resource materials for reading. I especially like the Daily Reading Comprehension book because it introduces key skills and strategies and then spirals back through them. Their teacher resource books run around $22-$29 but I think they have enough usable content to make it worth the money.

The reading selections lend themselves to practicing close reading with specific skills. That way I feel I have more latitude with reading novels or trade books because I've already covered the basics.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Welcome PindleLou
Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have used trade books for teaching reading for 15 years in our district. I love it because you can listen to the kids read, and give them what they need. I teach first grade, and our district paid for all kindergarten, first grade and second grade teachers who wanted to, to be trained in Reading Recovery, so we use strategies from that, and use the common core standards as a guide to make sure we hit everything. Last year, the district bought a basal series, and we are having a hard time teaching it. We like the freedom of teaching what we can see the kids need.

I think that once you get used to the idea of not having a canned program, you will like it.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Teaching wt books
Old 07-14-2017, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was wondering if you can still use the storytown scope and sequence ideas to facilitate your reading program.

I always teach genre so that everyone is reading the same and we can target the standards that match. We start with realistic fiction to focus on character, setting, plot, etc . So whatever your storytown lessons were could be applied to the expectations of what your students are reading.

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou

great ideas!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh my goodness, you guys have great ideas! And your responses helped me narrow down what my issue is: I have no problem with the *delivery* of the lessons, both guided reading and whole group mini-lessons, or how to assess students and group them and address struggling students...I am good with those things. I guess for me it's not knowing WHAT to use and WHEN to use it (as far as what order to introduce concepts that is the most efficient way to do it) that is my problem, lol!! In other words, I'm good with the actual instruction, but I am TERRIBLE at planning and figuring out what to use!

I like the idea of using the Storytown scope and sequence. Why didn't I think of that?!? It's like I am paralyzed when trying to plan. I am also going to look at the Evan-Moor books that Song mentioned! `

Pause I think you brought up Lucy Caulkins. I need to look into that. My district doesn't even tell us which writing framework we are supposed to use (like 6 traits, etc) unless I missed them telling us somehow. And thanks for providing me with your snapshot!!! Very very helpful!!!

Last edited by PindleLou; 07-14-2017 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: ETA
PindleLou is offline   Reply With Quote