Help

Gifted Education

Dash and Dot robots

>

teacher4

Dash and Dot robots
Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so excited to share I was awarded a local grant to get 4 robots and 4 Kindle Fires. My students are so excited to learn coding and programming. If you have these robots or any type will you share your tips on setting this up in a small classroom? Thanks

teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 03-10-2017, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations! Sorry, I have no tips, but I think this is an awesome accomplishment and opportunity for your students.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Thank you!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been watching videos on Wonder workshop and think I can develop a plan.

kpossible518

Congratulations!
Old 03-31-2017, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congrats, that's fantastic! When you say help setting them up, do you mean storage and/or areas in the room for students to access them?

If so, I personally don't have that kind of technology in my classroom but I have seen from coworkers the use of a dish rack or a file folder organizer to kind of stack the kindles. Paper trays that stack vertically can be very good to use also, I would suggest putting duct tape or something on them so there is some friction to stop the kindles from sliding in the paper trays. With stacking paper trays you can also charge the kindles easily if they're located near an outlet.

Hope that helps!

- Kimm
kpossible518 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Thank you
Old 03-31-2017, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a storage room to lock them but will but a large to store them in. I will lock the Kindles in a file and will set it up each morning for class time. I pull my students for 3hours daily and the power last that amount of time. I need to buy something to charge the robots with.

gifted3g

Dash and Dot
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did a unit with the Dash and Dot robots. I have 4 Dash robots, 1 dot, and all of the attachments. My kids LOVED it. There are some videos on youtube called, The Dash and Dot show. This gave me some ideas and the kids wanted to watch it all of the time. There are also free units on the Wonder Workshop website. I wrote a grant to get the full subscription to the website teacher materials.

Be sure to label them with their names. (My students named them.) When you activate them, the bluetooth will show a robot's name. If you have multiple robots and they are not labeled, it can get confusing. I used my vinyl machine to put the names on them.
gifted3g is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Thank you!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can you share your unit? I did label them and put the names in but it still gets confusing when turning them on. I will work on it before school starts. My students worked on the puzzles so far. When school starts I will a new group of students and one group from last year so my new group will learn to program using the puzzles. I am excited for the new year. Oh how often do you use them in class? Thank you for sharing!