Classroom library recommendations/essentials for 6th grade language arts - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Sixth Grade

Classroom library recommendations/essentials for 6th grade language arts

>

Tex1977

Classroom library recommendations/essentials for 6th grade language arts
Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello fellow teachers!

I am about to start my second year of teaching. Last year I taught 4th grade all subjects and this year I'm transitioning to 6th grade language arts. I'm super excited about this! I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations for good 6th grade level books to start my classroom library. Any feedback would be awesome!

Also, if you have any insights about essential classroom items, methods or supplies for 6th grade language arts I'd love to hear them as well. Thanks!!

-Tex1977

Tex1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Read aloud and nonfiction
Old 07-23-2016, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been teaching sixth grade, all subjects, for 20 years. Two things came instantly to mind as I read your post- Sixth graders still love a good read aloud, and be sure to balance your classroom library with some nonfiction.

For student-choice fiction, Rick Riordan's books, Dear America and Royal Diaries series, Harry Potter series, Series of Unfortunate Events.

Nonfiction- Sports stars biographies, animal books, science books.

Read aloud- Serafina and the Black Cloak, Hook's Revenge, Wonder, The Fires of Invention, The Acorn People- true story which I can't read without crying...every...time! (very short- read aloud to edit cuss words and a line about the sex lives of the disabled).

Finally, keep teaching the absolutely critical skill of summarizing. I do this in many ways all year. If students can effectively summarize, they are understanding what they are reading.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex1977

Old 07-23-2016, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is amazing thank you!!!

vanvic

My 6th gr. loved
Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

graphic novels. Anything by Doug TenNapel, the Amulet series, BONE series. My girls really liked the GN by Raina Telgemeier (Smile, Sisters, Drama) and including her new adaptation of the BabySitters Club.
My students have also loved anything by Gary Paulsen- we do Hatchet as a whole class read which also has a movie.
Mr. Lemoncello's Library by C. Grabenstein is also excellent. There are 3 in that series.
My lower readers loved the Big Nate GN.
vanvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex1977

Old 07-24-2016, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you vanvic!

AX Pendergast

Library Contents
Old 07-26-2016, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi - I've been teaching sixth grade for 13 years. I've attached an Excel spreadsheet of all of my personal classroom library books (hopefully...I've never attached a document here before).

I try to keep current by checking out the Scholastic book fairs when they come around, looking at publisher's websites, and signing up for newsletters from same. Also, if you write the publishers, sometimes they will send you advance reading copies of upcoming novels.

Good luck - let me know if I can answer any questions for you about my list.
Attached Files
File Type: xls LIBRARY CONTENTS.xls (70.0 KB, 55 views)
AX Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex1977

Old 07-27-2016, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am overwhelmed by all the amazing assistance from my fellow teachers! AX Pendergast thank you SO much for the spreadsheet of awesome resources!!

MathMinds

I know this is late, but...
Old 07-12-2017, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hello,

I know this is late but I wanted to add to the great responses already! This will be my 18th year in 6th grade and I have always had the inclusion class so I really need to have a wide variety of levels and interests. As a surprise to me, my own son was not a fan of reading once he hit 4th grade. Graphic novels were the only things he was picking up. I like them too but I wanted to get him into other genres. That is how I found Margaret Peterson Haddix and the The Shadow Children series. My son read the entire series and then moved on to her Missing series.

I start the year off with an exaggerated book sell of the 2 series and that seems to get them off and running. By word of mouth, at least half the class starts the series. Many continue on. They are great for reluctant readers, history buffs (Missing series) as well as science fiction (Missing).

Check her out!
MathMinds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex1977

Old 07-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I will definitely check her books out thank you MathMind's!