Help

First Grade

magnetic math focus wall

>

girl9987

magnetic math focus wall
Old 07-07-2017, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade in a small Christian school and thought I would post on the is board as well as the private board. I've had this idea for a while now and I'm just not sure how to go about setting it up. I need suggestions!

Here's what I'm thinking......Next year I would love to have some kind of magnetic math focus wall underneath my whiteboard. This is where I could put place reference charts that we use for math (the flashcards that go with the curriculum, plus ones I have found online.) I would stick them on the magnetic wall for the kids to reference and when I need one for a lesson, I could just pull it off the magnetic surface underneath my whiteboard and place it on my whiteboard to use during the lesson. I just don't have enough whiteboard space to use part of it as a "focus wall," which is why I'm thinking of something I could put underneath my whiteboard on the wall. I saw where maybe I could get some kind of big metal sheet from the hardware store and somehow fasten it to the wall underneath my whiteboard, but I'm not sure that would work?

I wouldn't want the kids to be able to see the cards and charts during a test, so I thought I could make some kind of curtain that will close over it when we are taking a test. I hope I'm making sense with all this.

Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions?

girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

magnetic wall
Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would think the metal sheeting would work though your custodian would have to figure out how to attach it. . I'm not sure how big you are thinking...but you could also make it small enough and use it for each math unit. either way, since it's magnetic, you could take down the words during a test. That's what I do during spelling tests. My word wall is magnetic. Any other words around the room such as number words, I slap a sticky note or two on during a spelling test. I hope this helps.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Magnetic Wall
Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found a 3 x 4 ft. piece of metal sheeting in my school basement and the custodian said I could have it. I bought Indusrial Strength Velcro (2 pkgs) at Walmart and attached it to the old useless chalkboard in my class. It has been totally secure for 7 years now. It's very strongly attached. It would take a lot of muscle power to remove it. This will work if you are able to permanently attach the sheet somewhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VELCRO-Br...461#about-item
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank ya'll! I'll look in to this.
girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote