High School

New Teacher Advice!

>

MathNerd10

New Teacher Advice!
Old 07-16-2017, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Fellow Teachers,

I just graduated in May with my teaching degree and will be starting my first year in a classroom in the fall. Being my first year, I am looking for any and all advice from other teachers about things like classroom management, establishing norms/procedures, etc. I will be teaching high school math (Algebra II and Geometry) so if anyone has any strategies or activities they have tried that would be fantastic as well!

Thanks in advance!

MathNerd10 is offline   Reply With Quote

platypus

Old 07-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What type of school is it? Rural/urban/small/big, etc?

I teach English, so I can't help you with the math activities.

My classroom rules are really simple: Be prepared. Be respectful. That cover pretty much everything.

Be firm. Be consistent. Follow through on any threats.

For instance, I'm pretty lenient when it comes to their phones. But their phones aren't to be out or in use while I'm teaching because that violates my second classroom rule. If it's out, I pick it up, lock it in my file cabinet and they can collect it at the end of the day. However, during independent work, they can use their phones to look something up or they can take a break and look at insta for a few minutes. Any longer than that and the phone's mine. Since I started this, I haven't had nearly as many problems with phones as I used to. But phone rules vary by campus and whether or not you are allowed to take the phones vary by campus.

Algebra II and Geometry-is that sophomores and juniors? Personally, I love juniors and seniors.

Even though they are in high school, they still like little kid stuff. I had some stickers left over from this project one of my extra-curriculars did and I started sticking them on papers with good grades. I ran out and didn't think any thing of it. Handed out papers and kids wanted to know where their stickers were.

Best review game, by far, is grudge ball. I found it on pinterest. Kids are broken up into groups. Each group gets 10 x's on the board. If a group answers their review question correctly, they get to take an x away from a group and they get to shoot a basketball into a bucket (really it's a round board eraser into a small trashcan). If they make the shot, they get to take another x away. Team with most x's wins. Also, if they are out because they have no x's they can get back in by getting a question right and making the basket which gives them 2 x's.

Good luck!
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote

MathNerd10

Thanks
Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for the response! I will be teaching in a lower income rural area. I'm very excited to move across the state to begin this new adventure. I will definitely steal some of your ideas too!! (:
MathNerd10 is offline   Reply With Quote