Contacting Mentor Teacher

>

teach123478

teach123478

Contacting Mentor Teacher
Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!
I just got my mentor teacher placement and I will be in a 5th grade literacy/ss classroom. I am SO excited! I am supposed to email my mentor teacher. What are some things I should/shouldn't say? I know I am going to say that I would be more than willing to come help her set up her classroom this summer, but is there anything else I should include?

Thank you!

gardener5

Old 06-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can tell you are excited and I think your mentor teacher will appreciate hearing from you. Keep it short and simple. Tell a little bit about yourself and share your enthusiasm. Offering to help set up is a great idea! There is so much to do at the beginning of the year and I'm sure she will appreciate this. Perhaps you can suggest meeting for coffee at some point in the summer and see how she responds. Everyone is different. Some teachers don't check their email and don't want to think about school until just before school starts. Don't be hurt if this is the case.

Hope that helps!
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congratulations!!! I had a great experience student teaching in 5th. I'd email and give her some options for meeting up. Offering to help set up is a great idea. Maybe ask if there are curriculum materials or class/school wide programs that they use so you could learn more.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 07-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really liked it when my student teacher contacted me to meet and get to know each other. Let her know you want to learn from her. Offer to help get the classroom ready. When i had a ST, i prepared a binder full of school info for her, gave her a faculty handbook, things like that- perhaps you could ask your mentor if she could provide some of that for you. I hope it goes well!!
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote