Do you tell parents their first graders reading level? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

Do you tell parents their first graders reading level?

>

One b

One b

Do you tell parents their first graders reading level?
Old 05-23-2017, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We use the fountas and pinnell running records kit for aaaessments. Should I be sharing with parents what instructional level their child is at or is that asking for trouble? I can see how it would be helpful for parents to know so that they can understand their child's progress or lack of progress but I don't want it to become parents comparing their child's reading level to another students and asking each other what level through child is at. I also know some first graders take longer than others to progress DVD I don't want parents to over react. What does everyone else do? Also, I was thinking of getting a subscription to reading A to Z kids for students to practice reading st home but then they would definitely see their child's reading level, which had good points and bad points. Any thought on the reading s to z kids subscription ?
Thank you

linda2671

We send reading levels home with grade cards.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We send home a chart that shows where they are at the beginning of the year, and shows progress for each quarter. We haven't really had problems with parents.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Yes
Old 05-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We tell parents what reading level their child is working on and we have a subscription to RAZ kids so they have access to ebooks on the right level. I've never had a concern arise.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

oneill212

absolutely!
Old 05-23-2017, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do it as a matter of course. that way they know what kind of books to look for for their child. My school pays for RAZ Kids so yes the levels are on there as well.
oneill212 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Absolutely share the information
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Parents and teachers are partners in the child's education. Why wouldn't you give parents information on how their child is doing? In my district we test three times a year, using the DRA, and we report the results to parents. By law we also must have a plan that we share with parents if the child is significantly below grade level.

I like Raz Kids (reading a-z) and we use it at school and at home. Well worth the cost.

TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 05-24-2017, 02:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As a parent, I always appreciated knowing!
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

irises

Of course!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

But they also need to know the end of grade benchmark (16 - 18 for first grade). I have my first graders graph their reading levels throughout the year and set goals. The parents sign off on these and write how they will help their child reach his/her goal! They need to know what is expected at the grade level.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I tell my parents (via the report card) if their child is on, above, or below level-. I only tell them the reading level at conferences. We have a chart that shows the range of acceptable levels. This year our new district person said not to tell parents but she doesn't sit in my conferences with me.

I love A-Z. Also, on the second page of the books, they tell you the equivalent Fountas and Pinnell levels. I would definitely get the subscription if you can. My students enjoyed RAZ kids the one year that we had it.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Reading Levels for First
Old 05-27-2017, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks to all who shared. I found this to be a helpful thread.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

colleague

Every reporting term
Old 05-27-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I include the DRA level for the student as it is a large component as to how the child is progressing throughout the year.

colleague is offline   Reply With Quote
fran123

fran123

levels
Old 05-28-2017, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We send home the children's reading level every quarter with report cards and always have. Our philosophy is:
- It's important for parents to know if/how their child is progressing. If a child is stuck, they might need to offer more support at home.
- It's helpful for them in picking "just right" books for their kids. We also send home a book list by level so parents know which books are good fits for their kids (aka NOT diary of a wimpy kid! lol )
- What PP said...it would feel weird keeping this information from them, as they are their kids' first and most important teachers.
- We reiterate to parents that reading levels are not the be-all-and-end-all of reading development, that kids should also read above and below this level, and that it does not define a kid.

With that said, I recently read an article on the Fountas and Pinnell website that was totally AGAINST giving parents their kid's reading level. Their philosophy was that reading levels were a teaching tool exclusively for guided reading...and should not be used to limit children's book selections or to be shared with the parents, in fear of creating a reading rat race and removing the joy from reading. I am still thinking about this but for now I disagree.

maxwell

Reading levels
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We always sent levels home with report cards. I wondered if the parents read them as I suspected no one read the weekly newsletter.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Maceola

I agree
Old 06-03-2017, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

with fran123. As a parent, I was glad to know my child's reading level. It just helped me help my girls select books they could navigate more independently. I still read chapter novels to them even though they couldn't read them.
Maceola is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

good question. . .
Old 06-04-2017, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

As a reading intervention teacher and SST coordinator I believe its a vital component to communicate with the parent on a current reading level, targeted reading level, and designated grade reading level. Our 1st-5th share reading levels , fluency, and AR levels. Kinder is beginning to share data. . .difficult to fully get parents on board without this data.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_love

Required
Old 07-20-2017, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We are required by admin to share this information. In some ways I agree with it. Parents can better help their students by knowing such information. Students can better choose books that are good fit books.

However, I see the other side better. In fact Fountas & Pinnell themselves recommend not sharing this info, even with the students, due to comparison. They say it is more for the teacher to know so the teacher knows what skills each student needs to work on. They fear by students knowing their level some may be discouraged and others may boast creating an environment were kids feel bad about learning to read.

I cannot recall which book I read that information in. It may have been one of the manuals or another training book I've had.
teach_love is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 07-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would speak with the parents about whether their child is below, at, or above benchmark for the grade the child is in without giving a specific level.

A to Z may be okay for the very beginning readers, but anything after I is not leveled the same as Fountas and Pinnell. By that I mean that a level J in F and P could be a level J or K in A to Z. And the variances grow as the levels go up.
cabernet is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-20-2017, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I know I am late to this conversation, and I have a different opinion than most of you. A PP wrote
Quote:
With that said, I recently read an article on the Fountas and Pinnell website that was totally AGAINST giving parents their kid's reading level. Their philosophy was that reading levels were a teaching tool exclusively for guided reading...and should not be used to limit children's book selections or to be shared with the parents, in fear of creating a reading rat race and removing the joy from reading. I am still thinking about this but for now I disagree.
I don't give the parents the reading level unless the specifically ask me. I also do not limit what my students can choose for their independent book boxes. Why shouldn't a good reader be able to choose some fun books like Elephant and Piggie even if it is way below their reading level? I read books purely for enjoyment as an adult, why shouldn't they? Why shouldn't my low readers be able to choose some harder non- fiction books about trains if that is what they like? I talk to them about reading the captions or the timelines to help them understand. Now, I will add that I also guide them to choose good fit books, too. 95% of my students met their reading goals. I believe in creating a joy of reading. I understand that you all don't have the same flexibility that I have because of my years of success and a principal who trusts my judgement. I have had too many students that became great readers because I trusted my instincts and got them books that interested them even though the books were not at their F&P level. You need to do what your school requires, just remember that a child is not just a reading level.

Last edited by hand; 07-20-2017 at 09:22 PM..
hand is offline   Reply With Quote