Help

Second Grade

ReadyGen2016 Adoption.

>

francis

ReadyGen2016 Adoption.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district adopted this k-5 starting this fall. I would be interested in tips/ feedback if you are currently using it. Thanks!

francis is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

I'm so sorry
Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Still getting my head around ReadyGEN after 2 years of using it. Many of my coworkers and I really dislike it.

I don't know how much freedom you have to modify/supplement, especially with the new adoption, but we have found that heavy modification/supplementation is essential.

The students are assessed using 6 lengthy unit tests (that mimic state tests in their complexity and layout) and 12 writing tasks. The writing tasks are fun but we've had to heavily scaffold for the students to have any success with them. The daily writing lessons in the curriculum aren't adequate for this. We would pick and choose what lessons actually matched the assessment and focused on those.

The books are always at the high end of the second grade reading level (at least according to lexile scores) so I always, always read them aloud to the students. (They're following along, of course, and referencing the books themselves to do close-reads and other assignments.) I will say that the book selection is for the most part great—quality, engaging literature.

You'll need to supplement with foundational skills—there are some resources but they are not adequate.

Hopefully your district will be giving you access to Pearson REALIZE, which has a number of online tools. In Teacher Resources there are some small group lesson plans tied to specific standards and skills. Our district's subscription allows you to actually use other grade levels too. So you do have a lot of resources for supplemental/small group instruction.

Let me know if you have more specific questions!
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

woodstocktchr

ReadyGen (2nd Grade)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This will be my second year using Ready Gen in 2nd grade. PollyCarp really summarized the program wonderfully. There is definitely the need to scaffold the instruction for most students. One resource that I found especially helpful was the Scaffolded Strategies Handbook. It really helps to review the SSH before starting a module.
woodstocktchr is offline   Reply With Quote

francis

Foundational Skills
Old 07-21-2017, 02:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Readygen recently updated foundational skills. I saw it a few weeks ago on the online Pearsonrealize site. Good tip to look at other grade levels to supplement small group. Thank you!

francis

Scaffold Strategies
Old 07-21-2017, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the tip!

francis

No spelling
Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do not see any spelling in Readygen. Is that correct?

PollyCarp

Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You're correct. There is no spelling. That's fun to explain to parents.

Thanks for the tip about foundational skills. I'll have to look it up! Hopefully our district's subscription covers it.
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote