Help

Fifth Grade

daily5

>

leeemma

daily5
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for daily 5 activities to do with a grade 5 class. Are there ideas that you can recommend or websites/books that I should look at? Thanks!

leeemma is offline   Reply With Quote

MDWells

Daily 5 books and other resources
Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

With my 5th graders I usually have a Daily 3 and only have the stations: work on writing, read to self, and word work (using greek and latin root word and prefixes/suffixes). I also add meet with teacher into the rotation. The 5th station that I don't use is read to someone or listen to reading. Typically, that read to someone ends up turning into a chat time with the older students and as a result I end up wasting valuable time going over the expectations again (many times throughout the year). I just avoid the issue by not having the station . I also do a center rotation rather than letting students self select their stations. I let them pick their "starter station" and then they move in a clockwise manner around the room. Less chaos for me.

"The Daily Five" by Gail Boushey.
A good companion book to read is "The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literacy Assessment and Instruction" also by Gail Boushey.
There are tons of great resources at https://www.thedailycafe.com. The CAFE stands for comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and expanding vocabulary. These are specific skills that students are supposed to work on during the Daily 5 stations. There are many examples of CAFE "menus" on Pinterest and teacherspayteachers.com.
I led a school-wide training on Daily 5 a few years ago, so if you have any questions I am willing to help. Here is my presentation:
https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing
MDWells is offline   Reply With Quote