Help

Third Grade

Moving to 3rd Science/SS. Any tips?

>

CptVanHook

Moving to 3rd Science/SS. Any tips?
Old 07-28-2017, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! This year I'm moving from teaching a small private kindergarten class to teaching science & social studies at a public school. I'm very excited about the change, but I'm also looking for any tips. Do you teach split subjects, & if so how do.you handle it? Anything I should know as I move up 2 grades? I'd appreciate any information.

CptVanHook is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

What a fun assignment
Old 07-28-2017, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Lucky you! You will have fun with these topics.

I would suggest finding picture books to go along with the topics the students are learning in both subjects. You may be able to reinforce reading standards while teaching science or social studies content. Check Pinterest for suggestions. Also ask for good titles here on Proteacher. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Also ask your librarian. You can always ask if the book you shared is fiction or nonfiction, who was the main character, list three facts you learned, what was the setting, what was the conflict, what was the solution..... You know the routine. Then ask content questions as well.

Use poetry about topics you are studying when you can so they get more exposure to poetry. It is pretty easy to find science related poems on line for children. SS is a little more challenging. Again the LA teacher will really appreciate your help.

Use technology when possible. If you have Brain Pop Junior at your school you will find some good resources there for sci and ss.

Hold lessons outdoors when you can. It is great being outdoors for some messy experiments. A read aloud can even be done outdoors. Include a mini nature lesson while you are out there. ( This is poison ivy- stay away) (This is an oak tree/ Can you find another oak tree in our school yard)

Have your students write about what they are learning in both subjects. This is another way to support their language arts learning. Require the same standards as the teacher who teaches writing. They do not have to be long assignments but should still communicate clearly and be well organized. Most of the time they will be writing expository pieces but there will be occasions in SS that you can have them write a narrative or persuasive. Consider this training to answer essay questions in middle and high school on science and social studies tests.

When you study community (just assuming since we studied community)have them write a story about how a community works together to accomplish a goal. Read them some mentor text first like A Chair For My Mother by Vera Williams.

Then perhaps write for in increase in allowance when you study economics. This will be persuasive writing. Again do this after having some mentor text that you share. Read Pigs Will Be Pigs Fun With Math and Money or Alexander Who Used To Be Rich Last Sunday.

Schedule some speakers to come and help you teach. A change of pace is always nice. Many parents of students may be experts in related fields.

Do as many hands on activities as possible to get the kids moving. This means experiments in science and creativity and dramatic play in SS.

Sing! Seriously learning through music sticks with you so see if you can make some musical connections.

Give lots of brain breaks. No offense but these are the easier subjects and the kids need to have a little more fun and some breaks for their brain. This means they will learn more after the break.

Bring in a newspaper article once a week to make a current events connection for ss.

Do a search for "Scientist of the Week" here on PT. Great fun and learning.

Good luck! Third graders are pretty terrific. They want to become more independent. They still love their teacher. And they are not hormonal yet.

Last edited by 1956BD; 07-28-2017 at 07:29 PM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Science Poems
Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

http://www.sciencepoems.net/index.html#chemistry
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Science Picture Book List
Old 07-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

http://commoncore.dadeschools.net/do...teBooksK-6.pdf