Help

Third Grade

Fluency

>

Ms. J

Fluency
Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you practice reading fluency in your 3rd grade classroom? In class? For homework? Both?

What resources do you use? TIA!

Last edited by Ms. J; 07-25-2017 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: clarification
Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherTip

Texas Reading 1st
Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use Texas Reading 1st passages each week. You can find them online for free. There are also 1st and 2nd grade passages for my low readers.
The students read them (cold reading) to me and I record their score.
In the past, this has been a homework assignment but I will have the students practice as a center during reading this year.
TeacherTip is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Fluency
Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Besides those passages, which are DIBLES passages with comprehension questions, google "SuperSpeed1000". There is a pdf with complete instructions. Now there are even YouTube videos. More info can be found on Wholebrainteaching.com.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I used poetry
Old 07-26-2017, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

for fluency most of the time. Sometimes we all did the same poem. I modeled. We practiced and then each child read it to me individually for a grade. I used a fluency rubric which I explained to them first. We practiced about ten minutes a day M - F and then while we were in computer lab I checked each student.

The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven is one that I used each year around Thanksgiving as a whole class poem. I made sure everyone had a copy to share with their family over the holiday as well in hopes that they would read it for grandma and grandpa.

http://davidvanalstyne.com/pg-turkeyshotoutofoven.html

Then I liked the holiday poetry collections by Jack Prelutsky. They are titled: It's Valentine's Day, It's Halloween, It's Thanksgiving and It's Christmas. I had students work alone or in pairs. They practiced in class and even left to read for the librarian, principal or custodian. Then at the end of the week they read it to me and I graded them using the attached rubric.

There is another series of books that I used for fluency as well. The books are titled You Read To Me: I'll Read To You and they have different subtitles. There is one about fairy tales, nursery rhymes, scary stories....... They were written by Mary Ann Hoberman. Each poem is written for two voices so they are sort of mini reader's theaters. I assigned students to work in pairs. The slightly better reader read part 1. The less fluent student read the second part. It was natural for the slower reader to try to meet the pace of the faster reader when they practiced. The poems are humorous and they really enjoyed these. Again I would grade at the end of a week of practice.

Using poetry for fluency helped some with standards I needed to cover with this genre.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fluency_rubric.pdf (50.8 KB, 36 views)
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

1956db
Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That's a great site. Thanks for the link.

RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Link to Fluency Article
Old 07-29-2017, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://www.upperelementarysnapshots....for-older.html
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote