Help

First Grade

Calendar or not...

>

elemedteacher

Calendar or not...
Old 06-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm at a workshop right now for Daily 5 and I'm thinking of wall space. I am wondering if I should continue to do calendar in the fashion I always have or let it be a job that a couple students can do. It would take a good 10-15 minutes (depending on question of the day), but towards the end of the year, the students were getting really bored with it and I ended up with behavior issues. More kids wanted to help clean up the classroom after math block than participate in calendar. I understand that Days of the week, problem of the day, counting the days and weather graphing were important, but I'm wondering how I can cut that back or cut it all together.
I don't want to go electronic because I feel that students still use some of the information from calendar time.

Thoughts...
Sherrie

elemedteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Well, you shouldn't cut back.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's too important. It's math, language, science, social studies! Find somewhere else to cut.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Calendar
Old 06-01-2017, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just keep it really short.

I have one student each week be our reporter. He gets the calendar ready ahead of time and checks the flag for our wind scale. He says the day, date, yesterday, today, tomorrow. Kids repeat it chorally. The he tells how many days in school. Explains the hundreds, tens, ones that correspond. We use connecting links on hooks to model this. Very easy. He decides how we will count that number (either by ones, twos, fives, etc) today. Everyone joins in.
Then he gives weather report. This all takes no more than five minutes. And now, even less because we counting backwards. Sometimes we count in Spanish. The reporter has the whole week to improve how he says his report.

I got the small calendar from really good stuff so it doesn't take up much room. Cut pictures of weather types from a big weather poster. Saves more room. Stopped doing the "big" calendar stuff ages ago.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

TishFish

MarciMCG
Old 06-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like Marci said, I would just keep it short. I eliminated calendar this year because I didn't have the physical room to put it and because the students got quickly bored with it. I did notice a difference when we got to the math chapter about calendar.

I plan to reintroduce it similarly to how Marci has is structured for next year. I am going to do it on the smartboard. I also have a small calendar that I will have hanging in the classroom and will display how many days we've had in school (with place value).
TishFish is offline   Reply With Quote

jo

Calendar
Old 06-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We did the calendar yearly, but at about semester time, I switched to the smart board version. They loved that as it added extra elements and we dropped the today, tomorrow, yesterday, and other things as they were bored with it. I need to find something that they can refer to as the calendar during the day, and haven't thought of what I am going to use. they loved the electronic version, and were unhappy if we had tech problems. It took about 15 min. or so.

jo is offline   Reply With Quote

colleague

If you can separate the two areas
Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a L.A. area and we meet there in the morning. I have a monthly calendar there we refer to as needed, but then after recess we meet in the math area in the other end of the classroom on another carpet and that is the math area. We do calendar math there daily. As you may know calendar math is much, much more than just telling the date, it is practice with the many concepts the students must learn in early elementary.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote

elemedteacher

Old 06-05-2017, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The today, tomorrow and such didn't really resonate with some kids. They were still very confused.
elemedteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

calendar is worth the space
Old 06-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It seems to work best if the activities evolve over the year, downplaying some elements and adding new ones. At the beginning of the year it's more about setting up the calendar, reading numerals, figuring out the patterns and anticipating them (I have lots of calendar numbers with various pictures and colors, start out with ABAB, later AAB, or AABB, or AABC getting more complex as the year progresses. We note even/odd patterns, diagonals created, etc.).

Later in the year, we use sets of coins to equal the date in a small pocket chart with various denominations on different lines, showing pennies on one or two lines, nickels & pennies on another, dimes & nickels & pennies on another, etc. These are counted as time allows on various days.

A small white board allows students to dictate or record number combinations to equal the date using addition and later subtraction. They really get into the patterns if you record vertically and leave spaces to fill in. [ Sorry, the system keeps re-editing my array so I have to put it in horizontally:]
0+4 1+3 3+1 4+0 The space represents 2+2. The students read across the top horizontal row of numbers to count up 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and across the bottom row to count down 4, 3, 2, 1,0.

A cookie sheet and array of square tiles allows for a visual display of odd and even (the tops of the tiles set up in two horizontal rows really are even or odd). The tiles can also be rearranged to show square numbers for 1, 4, 9, l6, and 25. I usually start to model this later in the year and with the date of 16. Referencing a tree root while pointing at the bottom of the array helps with the square root concept. I tell them that most people don't get to learn this part until high school, but they can get this now.

Adding new elements and reducing the time spent on old keeps the teacher and the students involved. And some students need many repetitions to understand while introducing some of the advanced elements for a few examples keep others involved.

Last edited by broomrider; 06-05-2017 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: try to fix alignment of algorithms; but can't
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

I love your response
Old 07-29-2017, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Stepping up the skills keeps calendar time relevant.
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote