Help

Fourth Grade

New 4th grade teacher

>

Watkins17

New 4th grade teacher
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I am looking for some help with teaching 4th grade. I have only taught kindergarten for two years and have not student taught. Can anyone show me where to start. How do you know what to teach for this grade? Is it outlined for you as far as what you should be teaching for each subject and when? What kind of behavior management do you use for 4th grade? Please help this is a huge transition

Watkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

New to 4th
Old 07-28-2017, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

WELCOME to fourth grade, it's the best
The kids are much more independent and hardly ever do you have to zip jackets and tie shoes

Do you have a team to work with? They would have curriculum maps and the year laid out. If not, get your standards and find out what materials you have for the different subjects.

If you have nine weeks tests, these can also help to determine what needs to be covered and when during the year.

Do you have state testing too? Most states test reading and math in fourth. Get a hold of released tests to familiar ize yourself.

And just breathe and post back here with specific questions as they arise.

Good luck- you'll love fourth grade!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.T2011

Best Grade Ever!!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to the coolest group of kids! I'm going into my 6th year teaching 4th.
Here's a little of what I do: (But I change it up here and there)
I use www.planbook.com to do my lesson plans and if you need the standards, they're all on there for you
-4th graders love to earn rewards, I use a color system that I keep on the wall, they have to change their color if they misbehave and if they stay on green all week, they get a raffle ticket for the end of the month raffle
-I also use a class puffball jar that they can earn parties and fun activities *if you want more info, let me know
-Give them jobs! I have: Assistant, Photographer, Mail person, Librarian, 2 Cleaning Crew members

Science and SS- I use Studies Weekly newspapers, I love all the options they give, experiments to try etc. Plus there's an online feature that I have my kiddos log onto their accounts to watch videos/read along with the articles/take tests (4th grade SS is all about your state)
Projects: Endangered Species, Earth models, Planet research project, Famous Ohioan research project and wax museum, Inventor projects, commercials

Math- We use GoMath, I do like the program (don't love it) I use the online features so I can have the pages on the Smart Board as we go through. Fourth graders struggle with multiplication facts, so make sure you incorporate centers or extra games to work on that beginning the first week! I'm trying a few math centers this year, so I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. I always give ample time for the kiddos to do their math homework with me, so I can be there to help. I use dry erase boards A LOT, plus they love using them too.

Reading- I usually have an aide or myself level the kiddos maybe the 3rd week of school, we use the Scholastic leveled system...so they can usually range from M-way past Z. I do use leveled reading groups and incorporate them into a Daily 4 rotation.
20 minutes- Read to Self (book of choice, reading response journals) I may throw in Time for Kids magazines for nonfiction
20 minutes-Word Work (spelling activities, Greek/Latin root practice)
20 minutes- Work on Writing (can use group journals, provide prompt, etc)
20 minutes-Meet with Teacher in their groups (work on reading strategies, round robin reading, vocabulary, there's so much you can do!)
*side note- If we're learning a new reading strategy, I like to use a mentor text to introduce it or watch a quick video...I love Disney Pixar short films
*I also have Ipads in my room that they take Accelerated Reading tests on to earn points

ELA/Writer's Workshop- I've found some really great interactive notebooks on TPT to teach new skills/grammar. Whatever we're doing in ELA I like to incorporate into their writing. For example, if we're focusing on FANBOYS (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) I have them work it into their stories etc.
October-March is the Pizza Hut Book It program, they have to do a book report/book project each month
I love to do writing projects that require some sort of art project/drawing/comic
After lunch, I always read aloud for about 15-20 mins
Books they love are: There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom, Loser, Wonder, Frindle, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, anything Roald Dahl of course, Kate DiCamillo books, Who Was or What Was books, there's so many!!
If you need any other ideas, let me know! Hope this helps to get you started
There's infinite possibilities with this grade
Mrs.T2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Watkins17

Old 07-28-2017, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello I do have a team of 7 other teachers to work with. Can anyone share how to determine what reading level a child is on? Also how much homework is given. How do you know what to grade and what not to grade. What are good classroom jobs for 4th graders
Watkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

4th graders
Old 07-30-2017, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You're lucky to have a team of 7.

Homework: ask your team but typically ours is read 20 min., A short math worksheet, spelling 2x weekly, occasionally finish classwork

Reading levels: we use Fountas and Pinnells Benchmark kit

What to grade: ongoing/ formative like Exit Slips or responds to reading =low point value
Summative: quizzes and tests =higher point values

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote