Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Question about Empowering Writers

>

PindleLou

Question about Empowering Writers
Old 07-15-2017, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I got such awesome responses to my other post about not having a "program" to follow for ELA instruction, I thought I would ask if anyone uses Empowering Writers?

On the Empowering Writers website you can purchase the book The Essential Guides to Writing alongside the online training program for $199.

I just ordered the book The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever off of Amazon. Is ordering the $199 program worth it? I hate planning and it takes me forever because I constantly second-guess myself. But I don't want to spend $199 if it's not really going to help me.

Thanks!!

PindleLou is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

It is worth it in my opinion
Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am retired now but Empowering Writers was the best writing curriculum I used during my entire teaching career. The third grade Essential guide that I used covered expository and narrative writing. It did not go into persuasive writing. But my book was published a few years ago so that may have changed or be different at different grade levels.

It gave you everything you needed to teach each unit including practice work for the students.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

Old 07-23-2017, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am retired as well, but I used Empowering Writing extensively too. I advise trying to do their inservice if you can. I think the book you ordered has some wonderful lessons in it, but I preferred the more expensive program.. it will take the student's writing much further. I do know that some of the materials have changed since I did the inservice back in 2010 and they have become more grade specific.
Henrietta is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 07-29-2017, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

See if your school could purchase it. Mine did and so while it was technically theirs, I could use it and keep it in my classroom. I had three different guides, expository, narrative, and persuasive. I taught one each quarter, and then did some spiraling to review topics and practice writing each type.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou

Which guide to purchase
Old 08-01-2017, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you all for your help!! I have a couple more questions. I see there are several different guides...like specific ones for Editing and Revising, Opinion Writing, Expository Writing, Narrative, etc. But then I see one for Essential Guides to Writing for Third Grade. Can I just buy the Essential Guide one, or do I need to buy it and then the more specific ones?

I see that the Editing and Revising has student workbooks (and they're on sale). Are they worth buying?

Last question: how necessary is it that I purchase the Online Teacher Package? Could I get by (at least this year) with just the print teacher resources?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by PindleLou; 08-02-2017 at 06:43 AM..
PindleLou is offline   Reply With Quote