Fourth Grade

Help with anchor charts please!

>

Elizabeth W

Elizabeth W

Help with anchor charts please!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th grade math and science, and I understand the importance of creating anchor charts WITH my students rather than pulling some perfectly decorated chart out of a drawer and sticking it on the wall as a reference. However, I really struggle with doing this in the everyday reality of my classroom. I like recording concepts as we discuss them on the projector because I can stand at my projector cart in the center of the classroom and observe all of my students while I’m writing. This helps with behavior management and also engaging students /being able to see who’s really participating. Writing on chart paper is so awkward; there is no way I can see to do it without turning my back to my class. If I actually write neatly it feels like I am taking an eternity and losing the kids’ attention. If I rush it gets sloppy. Even if I take my time I still often realize I want to go back and add or change something and I can’t without making it too messy to want to keep hanging on the wall for any length of time. To add to these problems, I also teach the same subjects to two different classes in a day, so then what is the right thing to do? Each class will come up with different versions of the same chart because they may have shared different ideas or strategies, but I don’t have the time to switch out each class’s anchor chart halfway through the day. But it also seems weird to have two versions of every anchor chart on the wall… or is that maybe helpful? If anyone can share any thoughts or tips on this it would be much appreciated.

SteelerFan

A couple of ideas
Old 07-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have made several anchor charts with successive classes on the same subject. Here are a few ideas.
*Make the chart in each class if the process is important. Hang all that day and for a few days. After a few days, keep only one chart. Rotate which class's chart gets to stay up.
*Make a chart in each class, not worrying how messy it gets. At the end of the day, make one neat chart to display using the best ideas of all the charts.
*Make one chart ahead of class with the most important information. Then for each class, brainstorm a chart and at the end of the day hang the premade chart with the most important information.
I recently attended the 2sisters conference and they are recommending charts made ahead of time to save time and focus on specific behaviors. I plan to prepare these for my Daily 5 stations before school and will project these on the board as we learn the behaviors.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

And charts
Old 07-30-2017, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Steeler had some great suggestions!
Mine are:

Charts that will remain up for a while are prepared ahead (character traits, i.e.)

Charts that students participate (especially from more than one class), I do on the smart board first. Then I combine ALL classes ideas and write it on a paper chart. Example, a specific character's web usually from a read aloud..I even color code the facts from each class for fun

Charts that students participate in can also be made with stickies. Students record on a sticky note and place on the chart.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Make and Copy
Old 07-30-2017, 03:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the idea of making a messy chart with each class, then consolidating them into your own neat one (when not with the kids) to hang up.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Anchor Charts
Old 07-30-2017, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with Lakeside.

However, I have also made the charts with students, consolidated the materials, typed one idea on a 8 1/2" x 11" colored paper, and increased the side on the copier. Then I glue the typed/copied/increased sized material on a large chart.

Another thing I do is give each child a copy of the smaller typed chart to glue in their notebooks...cut on the paper cutter to fit in a notebook. I remind them to open their notebooks to a specific chart when needed.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-30-2017, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I make them ahead of time. I use the whiteboard to brainstorm ideas on the topic then I use the anchor chart that I made to reinforce the details. If I write the chart with the kids I will rush and get sloppy.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-30-2017, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think all of the ideas given by PPs would work. You can definitely approach it in a lot of different ways.

For me personally, I always make the chart with the kids. I never bring premade posters or rewrite the chart, but everyone's different. If I taught two classes, I wouldn't mind hanging up two versions of the same concept. I think the kids would like seeing what the other class had to say. It seems like it would peak their interest and deepen their understanding.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Another thing I do is give each child a copy of the smaller typed chart to glue in their notebooks...cut on the paper cutter to fit in a notebook. I remind them to open their notebooks to a specific chart when needed.
That's a good idea, too! Then they've got it all year if the topic comes up again, but you're keeping your walls less cluttered by only having the newest ones up at a time.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
EilatSheli

EilatSheli

Anchor Chart
Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use a combination of all the above, depending on how the chart will be used. For example, I have pre-prepared charts with clear fonts and related cliparts for our content related word walls (e.g. math vocab). I also create charts with the students where I list their ideas (e.g. how to generate personal narratives). I also create charts with sticky notes (we use scotch tape to make sure they get stuck) when I want a more interactive lesson with the children moving about (e.g. Character development - I leave charts around the room with various characters' names and the students can quietly add post it notes while I am reading). They get a mini copy of any chart that can be relevant throughout the year, especially content vocab. I also take pictures of the charts that I make with the students, and print them out to be glued and kept in their notebooks. Basically, they get notebook versions of anything that has been on the wall, except the interactive charts with the sticky notes.

*Fairydust*

Ideas for anchor charts
Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here are some things I've done:

I also teach ELA to two classes each day.

1. I've made messy charts with each class and then created a neater one to hang.

2. I've left both messy charts hanging. Who cares about messiness sometimes...lol

3. I've had kids who stay after school to help sometimes. I've let them create neater ones.

4. I've taken pics of neat charts and photocopied them smaller to glue into student notebooks.

5. I've also premade charts to share and hang.

I've done a bit of everything!
Lol

*Fairydust* is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Anchor charts
Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also make charts with students, then create a neater chart after both classes, using combined ideas. As far as classroom management, I often ask students to copy their own version. This keeps them occupied, cuts down on behavior, and the students retain more material because they remember more if they write down the facts and/ or concepts. Win, win! (Warning: Love them, but most 4th graders are very slow writers!) 😁😘
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote