Help

Second Grade

Spelling & Grammar Chaos

>

tchrgrl28

Spelling & Grammar Chaos
Old 07-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Background: We're diehard TCRWP readers/writers workshop and we have Sitton for LA. My question is how can I manage a strong grammar/ phonics program? Is Sitton enough? Do others have better ideas?

I'm heading back to second after 14 years in other grade levels. Our school unfortunately lacks a cohesive program and I want to rock it! 2nd graders need phonics etc. right?? Anyone have pearls of wisdom on how you do it?

tchrgrl28 is offline   Reply With Quote

fran123

fran123

phonics/spelling
Old 07-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You're right- 2nd graders DEFINITELY need phonics! I also do RW and WW, so I have a dedicated 20 minute "Word Study" block every day, and I recommend you do the same!

Re: Sitton- I don't know much about this program, but from what I understand, it's (differentiated) high-frequency word memorization, right? I think that this is a *piece* of word study (memorizing sight words/trick words/snap words/high frequency words, etc) but definitely not enough for K-3, where kids still need phonics and word study.

I believe the 2 programs that TCRWP recommends for word study are Fundations and Words their Way. I use Fundations and love it but I know people love WTW just as much! If you have no money, WTW is super cheap! You can even find most of the sorts online or just buy the book cheap off Amazon.

For grammar, this year I am going to try to incorporate "Mentor Sentences" a few days a week. I love the idea but there's not enough time in the day!

tchrgrl28

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you fran123! I have WTW but facecloth never fully implemented it! I will have to bust it out and refresh implementation. I'm intrigued by mentor sentences. I will google it. Thank you
tchrgrl28 is offline   Reply With Quote

ACRteach

Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here's some advice on starting up WTW for 2nd grade! It is what has worked for me. For the first 2 months of school, I had every kid on the same sort. This is just so much easier to manage at the beginning of the year. I always start with "Letter Name" Sorts, which is mostly review of 1st grade skills. For most kids, these are easy, but it teaches them the routine of WTW and sorting, which is important! It also allows me time to get to know the kids as spellers and establish some common language.

This is my typical sort sequence for the first 6-8 weeks:

- Letter Name Sort 17 Digraphs ch, sh, th, wh (e.g. much, shin, whip, path)
- Letter Name Sort 22 Consonant Blends (e.g. cram, clap, frog, glad)
- Letter Name Sort 30 -ill, -ell, -all. I also teach about -ff and -ss in this week (still, fluff, glass)
- Letter Name Sort 31 -ick, -ock, -ack, uck (clock, pack, stuck)
- Letter Name Sort 33 -ing, -ang, -ong, -ung (bring, fang, song, lung)
- Letter Name Sort 34 -ink, -ank, -onk, -unk (think, drank, honk, junk)
- Syllables and Affixes Sort 3: -s and -es suffixes (stamps, boxes, benches)
- Suffix -ed and the 3 sounds it makes: /t/, /d/ and /id/ (bumped, spilled, hunted)

This way, my whole class understands the terms short vowels, blend, digraph, and suffix right from the start. They also learn about how to do partner sorts, blind sorts, word hunts, and other WTW activities. Each week, along with a new sort, I give my class 3-4 "snap words" that are irregularly spelled high frequency words like "give" and "said." We practice these at the end of each word study block. These are the words that go onto our Word Wall.

After 8 weeks, I assess my class with the WTW Primary Spelling Inventory and divide them into 3-4 groups, depending on the spectrum. Then, I move to differentiated sorts and a rotation system where I meet with one group each day.

In my experience, most of 2nd grade is spent in "Within Word Patterns" where kids will be learning about vowel teams and r-controlled vowels, but I also incorporate lots of suffixes sorts. Hope this helped!
ACRteach is offline   Reply With Quote