The Job Search

Post interview thank you card

>

Erin85

Erin85

Post interview thank you card
Old 07-12-2017, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just had my first interview today...even though I graduated in 2015. I am an aide and I interviewed in my district so hopefully I get it! I want to send a thank you card to each of the women on the hiring committee. I have "thank you" cards that I will hand write in or should I type out a letter and mail it in a traditional envelope? Any thoughts on what I should write?

SusanTeach

cards
Old 07-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Either would work, but I think the handwritten ones are more personal. If you type them, it will look like you just copied one letter and sent it to all of them. Even though your hand-written ones may say the same thing, you still took the time to write them individually.

If you can remember anything that sets each person apart, that would be wonderful to add as well - such as "Thank you for explaining ....... " It's not necessary, but it does show that you're teachable and paid attention.

I hope you get it!
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Agree with SusanTeach
Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A personal note is always better that a typed letter. Take the time to write them out and mail immediately. Same day as interview so there is a quick turn around. This will make you stand out!
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Handwritten
Old 07-13-2017, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I buy thank you cards and hand write. I usually say something like: Dear Mrs. X, Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to interview with X district (school). It was a pleasure meeting you. I would love to be able to become a part of the X School family. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, X. If it is a panel interview, I try to include everyone's name, but that can't always happen.
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

mckbearcat48

Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was told that a forgotten "thank you" can cost someone a position.

On the subject of "thank you", do y'all send thank you notes to administrators that you interview with if you don't get the position?

mckbearcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Thank yous
Old 07-31-2017, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Send thank yous out right away. If you happen to get a quick turn down, reply with a thank you anyway. You want to leave a good impression with them.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote
Erin85

Erin85

2nd interview
Old 08-03-2017, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've had a couple interview since this post. One decided to hold a second round of interviews consisting of teaching a lesson. I finally advanced to the second round. I'm so nervous though I think I might throw up. Anyway, I wanted to share with the rest of the job seekers out there what I think helped get me to the second round. Mind you, I did not feel that great about the first interview when I left but I think I had some strategies that helped me out.

1. I did not have a portfolio with me. I was interviewing for a kindergarten job, but then when I got there they told me that it was really going to be first grade because a teacher was moving to the kindergarten job....anyway, all my material I could put into a portfolio was for high grades, plus I student taught in middle school. So I made a brochure...you can google it and find some examples and make your own...that's what I did. The principal said, "Oh cool!" when I handed it to them. So I think that helped.

2. Literally right after me interview, I went to the post office, sat in my car and hand wrote thank you notes to each of the interviewers, on thank you cards I got from the dollar store.

I'm hoping I blow this lesson out of the water and get the job! Just try to make yourself stand out from the rest. I'm glad I sent the thank you cards even though I thought for sure I wasn't going to get a call back. Be yourself, because once you get in there you won't be able to hold up to something other than who you are.

Munchkins

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2017, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love that you got the Thank you cards out immediately. They do make a difference. I love the brochure- we hired a teacher who had one made up, and it did set her apart.

Keep us posted! Sending good, calming thoughts your way!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote