Help

The Job Search

When it rains it pours...need advice!

>

tigerdragon

When it rains it pours...need advice!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After years of subbing, I've gotten an offer at a very small private school in my community (that I was unaware existed). I'm thrilled to have been offered a positing and the people and atmosphere seem great, however, the pay is well under 20,000 less than entry level for a public school with absolutely no benefits. Weighing my options I decided to go for it even though I'd pretty much be making what I was subbing. I need to call them today and tell them something.

Last night a teacher friend at my favorite school texted me that she just got an email from her principal and they're hiring a position looking for suggestions. I have a great rapport with this school and principal. It is the first time since I've been subbing that they've had an open position. I know it is nowhere near a sure thing for me there (jobs not even posted yet) but I definitely want to be in the considerations.

There is no actual contract with the private school. I know it probably makes me an awful person but would it be terrible to accept the position and still intend to possibly interview for the public school job? I don't want to say no to the private school job and then not get the other one and be left with nothing. At the same time even though it's kind of petty if I was offered the public job 20,000 more a year is a lot of money and benefits are really important.

tigerdragon is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

$20,000 is not petty
Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If private is the same as subbing, I would continue subbing.

Given your question, if there's no contract, accept and keep looking!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

tigerdragon

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Saying it out loud makes sense. Unfortunately, everything really does come down to money and benefits.
It only would be the same as subbing if I ended up getting a sub job every day, so the consistency would be nice.

SingingTeach7

Old 07-10-2017, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would take the other job if offered, especially if nothing was signed and since it is a private school. You have to look out for yourself first.
SingingTeach7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa1

Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All you can do is apply for this upcoming position, knowing that you have a 'fallback' if you need it. I'm eager to hear what happens - keep us posted!

Tessa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

KCJ

Old 07-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would probably apply for the other as well. Good luck!
KCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

What did you decide?
Old 07-16-2017, 12:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My advice would be to try for the private school. You could always use it as experience. I think once you accept a position for the year, you cannot decide on another one. Some schools/states can take your teaching license away for doing that. Plus how could you use them for a reference at a different school? They would know you're looking somewhere else. Don't burn bridges.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-16-2017, 01:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I see this was a few days ago, so I'm not sure if you've already made your decision. Personally, I might try to stall the private school by asking them for more time to think about it. No, I don't think it's awful to consider the public school. $20,000 plus benefits is a huge difference- is the private school salary even a livable wage? However, like Tounces said there could be some consequences still for leaving if you've already accepted.

If the public school doesn't work out, I might still consider taking the private school over subbing for another year unless it's very common for people to get hired from sub pools in your area. I would think that the year of actual teaching experience would look much better on a resume, and you'll be able to get updated professional letters of rec (I've always wondered how subs get letters of rec). Basically, I think you'd be setting yourself up better to get a public school job for the following year by teaching in the private school than if you spent another year subbing.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. I would accept the private school position, but still be open to another offer. Even if you don't get a position in a public school this year, you at least get a foot in the door.

Last edited by pausebutton; 07-17-2017 at 09:39 AM..
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

wife of private school principal
Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My husband is a Lutheran school principal so I'm going to answer your question based on what I've seen during his experiences.

Typically it is very difficult for private schools (small ones that can't compete with public school salary/benefits) to hire teachers. My husband starts looking in late fall for teachers for the following year - if he knows he will have an opening. If you accept the private school position, their hiring team will stop looking for candidates. And if you then change your mind, they are not likely to have a pool of substitutes from which they could pull a long term sub while they are trying to hire someone to start the school year.

My advice would be to be honest with the private school principal. Tell him/her you have an active application in with another school and that you should know about that position in (however many days). Tell what you are interested in about the private school position and that you'd like to keep in touch about their open position. Then tell them as soon as you can when you have decided. In the meantime, the private school can continue looking for and interviewing candidates. Even if you decide not to accept the private school job, you've communicated professionally and haven't burned a bridge if you decide to submit a resume there in the future.

WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

tigerdragon

Update
Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I ended up initially accepting the private school position (there was no contract to sign) but was upfront with them that of the I was still going to interview with the public school if they called. Fast forward a few weeks - I interviewed last week and was hired at the public school as a 4th-grade classroom teacher on Monday! The private school was disappointed but understanding. Their salary would have put me below the poverty line and left me struggling. Unfortunately, it really came down to the money.

pausebutton

Old 08-04-2017, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Congratulations!!! I would have made the same decision. I'm glad it worked out.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote