Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

math strategies (envision math users)

>

dusty

math strategies (envision math users)
Old 07-08-2017, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade in a private schools. Many of the schools around us are now using envision math, not us, and I want my students to be prepared or at least familiar with the addition/subtraction strategies that are being taught at other schools that use envision math because our math program is not nearly as complex. So far, I get the making 10 strategy when adding numbers that equal more than 10 or subtracting numbers higher than 10 but i have 2 questions:

1. Are there certain addition or subtraction strategies that are being taught differently now? How would you teach your first graders to solve 9 - 6? It seems like students are expected to somehow memorize all addition partners for each # thru 10, HOW do they do that in such a short period of time? Should I no longer be teaching the counting up strategy to solve 5 + 4 and only be teaching them to know right away that 5 and 4 make 9?

2. In order for first graders to really be able to use the making 10 strategy to add they need to be very fluent with addition facts thru 10. For many first graders that takes a very long time so my question is, approximately when in the school year do you start teaching the make 10 to add strategy?

3. Lastly, is the breaking apart 10 strategy just another way to teach regrouping?
thank you

Last edited by dusty; 07-08-2017 at 08:09 AM..
dusty is online now   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

Math Strategies
Old 07-09-2017, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use ten frames alot. It is a good tool to help the students visualize combinations of ten. I still use counting up and counting back too. Using a number line is good for that.
nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Envision
Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I never liked the way Envision taught subtraction. It's that "part, part, whole" strategy that worked well for addition, but not subtraction.

I supplemented with a lot of "mad minutes" for addition (timed tests). Every day. Use manipulatives like linker cubes to demonstrate breaking apart.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

schoolbells

Envision
Old 08-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would teach my first graders to use the number line to solve 9-6. This is one of the Envision math strategies. I find the timed fact fluency at the start of the lesson really seemed to help my students with adding up to 10. This year, I'm going to start after the beginning of the year baseline assessments. Subtraction was more challenging. I introduced that about December. I was given a copy of something called number bond dash for facts up to 10. A mentor modeled use of the number bond dash and it seemed to help most of my students master the basic facts to 10.

I am not sure if the breaking apart 10 strategy is similar to regrouping. However, here is a video that helped me to make some sense of the strategy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyrGWNWGuJ4

Last edited by schoolbells; 08-06-2017 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: missed a word
schoolbells is offline   Reply With Quote