Help

First Grade

morning work ideas

>

girl9987

morning work ideas
Old 07-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I posted this on the private school but wanted to post here too. Does anyone have any good ideas for morning work?? I teach first grade in a small Christian school. I don't really want worksheets to copy, check and send home, but I do want something the kids can do quietly and independently while I'm checking folders, taking lunch orders, taking attendance, and responding to notes.

The kindergarten teacher lets her class play at "morning tubs" at their tables, but I think this would drive me insane. I want them at their seats and quiet. I do let them talk for the first ten minutes as they are unpacking, so I don't feel guilty about having them stay quiet for ten more minutes while I'm working.

Last year, I had them write in journals, but after doing this every day for the whole year, they got bored with that after a while, and I ran out of ideas for journal prompts.

Any ideas that don't include copying worksheets but would still keep them quiet and busy?

girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Morning work
Old 07-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have about 10 min before school announcements come on smart board.

I give each student a small baggie of pattern blocks. They keep in their desk and can pull out and build shapes on their desk top whenever they have free time.

I know you don't want worksheets, but my kids have a handwriting booklet ( about 8 pages) they can use. Just one page at a time.

Another booklet they have available is called Fix It Up. Each page has a scrambled sentence they have to rewrite with punctuation, draw a picture. These booklets are kept in bins that kids can pick up independently.

Others can book shop if it's their day. Some just talk quietly to each other.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote
fran123

fran123

Am work
Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The first 10-15 minutes of my morning is always "Look Book" time. This is a time for kids to read any book, any reading level (including magic eye books, Guiness World Record Books, etc). During our reading time, they are reading "just right books" so they LOVE look book time! I gradually loosen up the reigns on look book time as the year goes on. They start out reading at their tables, then they can move around the room, then eventually they can sit anywhere and read with anyone. By March, it is truly a magical time in the classroom, with kids nestled up with books in pairs and trios, giggling and reading together. It isn't silent but it's very calm, and based in meaningful and authentic practice.

Some years, this time expands into a sort of free choice writing time, as well, where kids can work on any type of writing they like. It depends on the group and their independence level.

My advice- ditch the worksheets and the workbooks and let them read! Easier and more beneficial for all involved. Just set expectations and model what this time should look like/sound like.

linda2671

Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have several things I give for morning work. I kind of rotate them around.
  • math worksheet with basic facts
  • writing - There's a place for a picture, and lines to write about their picture.
  • Scrambled sentence page
  • Spelling word practice
  • Problem of the day. Example: There are 5 cats. How many eyes? Draw a picture to solve.
  • Sequencing page
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

girl9987

problem of the day
Old 07-07-2017, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How do you manage the problem of the day? Do you write it on the board and the students copy it in a math journal?

jbsmile

Fine Motor Drawers
Old 07-08-2017, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use that time to get more fine motor practice in our day. I switch out the drawers about once a month. I have a drawer for each table and they rotate through them. The drawers contain things like tweezers and small erasers, etc. that they need to transfer from one container to another. (At the beginning of the year it might just be counting, later it might be to complete a math problem.) One drawer probably has play-doh and cookie cutters. Others might have letter beads, white boards, chalkboards, pattern blocks, putty, etc. I have put games like "Barrel full of Monkeys", pick up sticks, games with dice etc.

I get many ideas from Marsha at Differentiated Kindergarten. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE not having the disparity of children coming in later in the morning and feeling behind the entire day, no grading, no running off copies, etc. It's an independent, engaging time in the classroom.
jbsmile is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 07-08-2017, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love the free reading time, and I think your journals were also a great idea, and only got boring because they were every day. How about this? -

Monday - journal choices - write about your weekend or a book (that you read or that someone at home read to you)

Tuesday - read anything you like at your desk (loosen this to around the room later in the year if you want and the group can handle it)

Wednesday - math and logic puzzles, "how many ways can you make the number ____?" etc. - just put this on the board; they can use white boards if you have them, and just hold them up at the end

Thursday - write and draw - journal prompts where they can answer with a story, a picture, or (preferably) a bit of both

Friday - free reading again
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

thanks
Old 07-09-2017, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like the idea of a rotation. Thank you all for the great suggestions and feedback!

KBTeacher

Library
Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have them pick a book from our classroom library and let them read for awhile.
KBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SleepEatTeach

Old 07-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm trying something new this year that I found on TPT called Paperless Morning Work. All you need is the Smartboard and notebooks. It is a variation on journal writing. Each day is something different and you display is on the Smartboard so they know exactly how to set it up.

Some days they draw a picture and write a sentence (make a picture of your house and write a sentences about it), some days they make a list (name five things that are red), some days they answer a question (would you rather be a fish or a bird, why?). On Fridays they always write about anything they want. I'm excited to try it out. My kids can always use more writing practice. I have also done free reading for morning work. It works well if you train them on how it should be done.

SleepEatTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

abc123erin

Reply to Girl 9987
Old 08-05-2017, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do a morning folder that uses plastic sleeves/wipe off markers, build skills throughout the year and you add to them every couple of weeks. PM me and I will be glad to share with you. Might be what you are looking for. Erin
abc123erin is offline   Reply With Quote

schoolbells

Morning Work
Old 08-06-2017, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

- Respond to morning message in the reader's notebook. Example: Good morning students! Yesterday, we learned the /sh/ digraph. Please make a list of five /sh/ words. (Anchor chart from yesterday is posted). The next task is to put each word into a sentence. Finally, draw a picture to match one of your /sh/ words or sentences.
schoolbells is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

Ibought this too!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

@Sleep Eat Teach: I bought Paperless Morning Work from TPT too! I can't wait to see how it goes! We will color our covers on the first day of school.
PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote