Help

Fourth Grade

Add reading to LA ?

>

GREATHISTORY

Add reading to LA ?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th and 5th grade social studies. I also teach LA to my 4th grade homeroom. This year due to changes in our schedule I will not be teaching reading. The other teacher who teaches 4th grade will be teaching reading to 4th and 5th. I loved doing novel studies in reading. Is there a way to incorporate books to LA. or grammar and writing. I don't have the time in Social Studies with the curriculum. One of the 5th grade teachers does a 40 book challenge? Has anyone done the Global Read Aloud. I thought I could incorporate that with writing. Any suggestions.

GREATHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
1956BD
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 AM
This message has been deleted by 1956BD.

1956BD

Mentor Text
Old 08-13-2017, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

can and should be a part of teaching writing. What is better than an example? You can read them examples of good word choice, narratives, expository, persuasive, good beginning (different kinds), good endings (different kinds), books that use figures of speech well, imagery, good or unique organization........

Have you seen this website?

http://writingfix.com/

It is filled with examples of books that help teach writing. It might help get you started.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

GREATHISTORY

Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do use literature as examples for writing. I was thinking of have them read books red as a class . I will have to look at the web site.
GREATHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Reading
Old 08-14-2017, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Reading shouldn't be seen as an independent class or skill set. You can incorporate reading into any and all subject areas. There is a lot of poetry, as well as song lyrics, out there that you can combine with what you are doing in Social Studies. You could be incorporating reading strategies into all areas where possible. You will want reading passages to effectively look at grammar.

Pick up the book Notice & Note for Nonfiction by Kyleene Beers and Bob Probst. I think you will find the close reading strategies very effective. Reading doesn't have to just a a novel in a class (although I love that too!).
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 08-14-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did Global Read Aloud for the last four years. It is one of my favorite activities of the year. You do as much or as little as you want with it. You could do lots of response to literature type of writing with it. Also, you can make lots of connections with other classes and have them share their writing.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote