Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Guided Reading 6th-8th Using Novel Studies

>

amwitlox

Guided Reading 6th-8th Using Novel Studies
Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have previously structured my middle school ELA class around novel studies with whole and small group activities.I am now being directed to use guided reading in my classroom. What does guided reading look like in a middle school class room and how is this different than the differentiating I do in small groups with my novel studies? I am also being asked to accomplish this in one 60-minute period a day and include writing/vocabulary/grammar. Thanks!

amwitlox is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found this on:
http://www.readwritethink.org/profes...lop-30816.html
Guided reading is subject to many interpretations, but Burkins & Croft (2010) identify these common elements:
Working with small groups
Matching student reading ability to text levels
Giving everyone in the group the same text
Introducing the text
Listening to individuals read
Prompting students to integrate their reading processes
Engaging students in conversations about the text
The goal is to help students develop strategies to apply independently.
_______________________________ _______________________________
I really thought of this as something in elementary school, but I see that this is a lot of what we already do in language arts in middle school. I also have to teach a whole class novel. This is a bit ridiculous when I have ls kids on a 2nd grade level and gifted kids reading at a college level. However, I give the advanced readers some different texts and projects and we adapt for the lower readers.

We have had to suddenly change curriculums in August and it was really hard. I still struggle to fit in the grammar aspect. With the Common Core, we do argumentative, narrative, and informational writing. I really struggle to get kids to read the texts on their own. They want everything spoon fed to them. Also, kids complain all year about the selected reading. I don't have the options to change them. We end up doing a lot together in class. We put students in groups, but I never meet with them like they do in elementary school. Our rooms are not set up for that either. I do circulate, but I don't sit at the table with them.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

amwitlox

Old 08-15-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is so beyond helpful! The definition of guided reading is just what I was looking for to explain that I am doing this already, just under a different name. I too struggle with the kids reading texts on their own and often have to delay my plans for the day just to catch students up on reading. Thank you again for taking the time to thoughtfully respond. I share your struggle and will be with you in spirit this coming school year!
amwitlox is offline   Reply With Quote