Help

Fifth Grade

Book Club

>

LaurieL

Book Club
Old 08-17-2017, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a desire to begin an after-school book club for my 5th graders who have a true passion for reading good books and love to share their opinions and discuss what they have read. However, I am unsure of the best way to begin it and need help on setting the club objectives and expectations. I would like to begin the first afternoon with a "Book Tasting" which is an idea I saw on Pinterest. Does anyone do this at their school? Any ideas and advice would be appreciated.

LaurieL is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Book Club
Old 08-17-2017, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How will you decide who will be in your club? I would keep the number small. If you have many students who want to be in the club what will you do?

I did this years ago with fourth graders. The problem was anyone could sign up. About half who signed up truly enjoyed reading. The other half were signed up because their parents wanted them to like reading. You can guess which half got bored and disrupted the club. You want to avoid this situation.

If you can get away with it I would call parents and extend invitations to those students who are true readers and would benefit from this club. Ask what days they can not attend so you can select the best day of the week to hold the club meetings.

To have the students you want you may need to arrange to have the club meetings at the closest public library rather than at school. But then this may be seen as showing favoritism.

I would give fifth graders some choice in what they read for club.

They will need an after school snack. JMO How will you handle this?

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote