Help

Fourth Grade

Schedule Help! I'm stressing.

>

Epuka

Schedule Help! I'm stressing.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Working in a private school I have more flexability about what I want to teach and how to do it. That being said, I question my timing intervals. I'd really love your feedback.

8:15-8:30: Bellwork (mixed full worksheet of ELA and Math) and we review answers together

8:30-8:50: Engaging Writing Prompt
(picture/question/or story, at least a page)

8:50-9:10: Personal Reading (last few minutes to jot down notes)

9:10-9:40: Grouped student reading and discussion
(only one group because I have very few students and they are quite advanced)

9:40-10:10: ELA Grammar (engaging, game like setting) or mini lesson on how to write essays with time for them to write

10:20-10:40: Social Studies
(20 minutes isn't much, but I'll have SS every day---or should I extend it for 40 min and have it just twice a week?)

10:40-11:30: Math

Other than Science later in the day with a different teacher, this is all the general academics time students have (the rest is religion and specials), although I do have fewer than ten students.

Also, I'd like to fit in teacher reading occasionally but don't know when.

Epuka is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 08-13-2017, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm new to 4th (and a new school this year, too), and I'm trying to figure out my schedule as well. I feel your pain! Reading through your schedule, I think it feels choppy and time-pressured. Getting a full 20 or 30 minutes on each subject is highly dependent on your students' ability to transition and get materials out, bathroom breaks, snack (where's snack?), and so on. I know you said your group is advanced, but still, I think that's asking a lot.

Does personal reading have to be at that time specifically? If not, can you move it a little later and double that up with snack/bathroom breaks?

Can ELA grammar be combined with the engaging writing prompt? And for that matter, why is writing separate from the essay writing? If you combined those, you would have more time for writing and be more effective on relating the grammar to the writing.

You're right, 20 minutes for SS isn't enough, so I'd look at extending it twice a week. Then you could extend math twice a week as well.

Re teacher reading, do you have any snack/break time? Time at dismissal?

That's about all I can think of. Good luck! I'm going to be working on my planbook.com planbook today, so I'm with you in the trenches of scheduling.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Epuka

Old 08-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for posting!

My class ends at 11:30 and then they go to lunch. Wouldn't snack time spoil their appetite? Also, I know the religion teachers offer snack to them later in the day.

With my block I have them three hours. My plan was to let them go to the bathroom whenever they needed to. But I might consider giving them a short bathroom break before Math. Hopefully, they wouldn't chit chat and take longer?

If I do SS only twice a week it would be Wed. and Thurs. How should I adjust my schedule for the days we don't have SS? Oh, and Math needs to be daily.

Regarding the writing prompt, you made a good suggestion but I want it separate from grammar/essay writing and more as independent journal writing. I did this one year with my 5th/6th class and their end of year writing scores were boosted 40% from the previous year. I attribute that growth to this exercise which they really enjoyed. I could move it to the end?

I put my personal reading time after bellwork and writing prompt to give extra time for those kids that are slower to finish their work. But I'm also open to moving around my independent reading time. Is it best to put it at the end?

How is my balance? What do I need to subtract and add time for?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Epuka; 08-13-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Epuka

Old 08-13-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh, and should I just plan to read my teacher read-aloud book whenever we have extra time before my block is over?

Century46

workshop
Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If it were me, because I am a workshop person, I'd do hour long workshops...reading, math and writing and then integrate social studies within the reading and writing blocks. It might look like this:

Bell work
8:30 - 9:30 Math Workshop (divided up with mini lesson, problem solving, lesson work and games
9:30-10:30 Writing Workshop (again with mini-lesson, independent writing (alternate days with fun prompt and essay), word work and share time.
10:30-11:30 Reading Workshop Mini lesson with teacher read aloud as model, Independent Reading (meet with your groups at this time) and Responding to Reading.

I would look at Social Studies standards and take time for them within the reading and writing workshops a couple of times a week (10:15-10:45) because you are usually reading and writing during Social Studies.

If you wanted separate SS, you can do 45 minute blocks on those days. And of course, order can change but I like LA altogether...just my preference.

Also, you can mix up read aloud with short text, even math picture book during math, mentor text during writing and shared reading during reading.

Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Epuka

Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Century 46 that certainly simplifies my schedule, thank you!

I too like to keep my LA together so will likely do SS twice a week

May I ask what a Math picture book is?

Thanks again!

Century46

math picture books
Old 08-18-2017, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a collection of over 100 picture books related to math...just google it and you will see. I would be specific about strand...for example. Picture books about geometry. You'll be amazed by the quantity of books you can use. I often begin my math block with a read aloud. I just used 100 Snowmen yesterday and on the first day of school use Math Attack. There are so many great ones.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Epuka

Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh okay. I'll have to remember to keep that in mind. Thx.