Second Grade

Word Wall

>

MsKeepItCalm

Word Wall
Old 08-04-2017, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone,
How many of you have/use a Word Wall? I was just wondering if I should incorporate one as well. If so how does yours function within your class? Any feedback is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you,
First Year Teacher

MsKeepItCalm is offline   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

I do
Old 08-06-2017, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district requires us to post a word wall for reference. I sometimes don't do a good job of adding words.
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 08-08-2017, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I believe that a word wall is an essential part of any elementary classroom, BUT only if you are going to use it effectively. In order for kids to take ownership and use the wall, you must make it a regular part of your routine and you must hold kids accountable for using it. When I was in a regular classroom, I added five words a week. We did a different activity with the words each day and at the end of the week, they were added to the wall. If students spelled a word wall word incorrectly in ANY of their writing, I would write ww above it and they knew they had to fix it. There are many wonderful books out there with great word wall activities, as well as on line. A word wall is a great part of your word study instruction.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

gofish

Old 08-20-2017, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used to have a word wall. I would introduce ten words a week. We would sing and chant them daily. I would do a few activities with the words throughout the week. I encouraged the students to use it while they were writing. Over the years I found that the students didn't really refer to it and kept spelling the words wrong so I stopped putting one up. I still do the ten sight words and 10 spelling pattern words along with the same activities but I also gave them each a personal spelling dictionary. They keep this in their writing folder. Words that we have gone over are highlighted each week with a highlighter. Students are encouraged to use the dictionary when they can't remember how to spell a word. If the word is not in the dictionary then they can bring it up to me and I add it on the blank lines provided. This way has been much more valuable for the students.
gofish is offline   Reply With Quote