Help

The Job Search

What if I don't get a job???

>

tadertots

What if I don't get a job???
Old 08-18-2017, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I am trying to prepare for the worst. I just graduated with a degree in Elementary Education and I have been on interviews, but no job yet. I am still waiting to hear back from one school and I have at least one more interview to go. I am so nervous that I will not get a job. I am moving into an apartment soon and I need to be able to pay my rent.

If the school years starts and I do not have a job- what should I do? What jobs should I apply for?

tadertots is offline   Reply With Quote

aly7123

Old 08-19-2017, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can apply to substitute teach. I had to do that for 7 years before I found a full time teaching job but that was because I lived in Pennsylvania which is notorious for its lack of elementary teaching jobs. If you need more money, you can also get a part time job for the evenings and weekends to supplement the subbing. I know that might be a little tiring but I did it for a long time and it does help. Plus subbing may help get your foot in the door and maybe you will get a job at one of the schools you sub at next year.

Depending on what area you live in, you can look into tutoring for extra money too. I wasn't able to do that because I lived in a depressed area where most people weren't willing to pay for tutors and the closest tutoring center was almost an hour away. If your area is more populated, you might be able to do that. Also, you can look into local daycares and preschools to see if they are hiring.

Also, I know you said you're just moving into a new apartment, but if nothing comes up by the time your lease is up, maybe you can look into relocating. I just relocated to Northern Virginia where there are plenty of elementary teaching jobs. It's a more expensive place to live but it's doable if you budget. Look for other areas with teacher shortages if you are willing to relocate and Virginia is too far. I know that's not an option for everyone but it is something to think about. Good luck with your search!
aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-19-2017, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great ideas from aly. If you choose to stay in your area, I would definitely pursue some of those.

I relocated right after college to a place where there were jobs. If that's a possibility, that's what I'd be looking into. There are areas with teacher shortages out there!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I substitute taught a year and I'll say my classroom management is rock solid because of it. I also went into my own classroom with a ton more ideas of what did and didn't work for me because I had been in so many other classrooms. Also, I had taught all grade levels so, when I interviewed, it truly didn't matter what grade was open.

Also, I got a ton of organizational ideas. I think I was less overwhelmed as a first year teacher because I subbed.

People think not getting a job immediately is the worst thing and I truly think subbing a year is a gift you can give yourself. Plus, you'll make contacts and get more references.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

ThePoet

I agree with Greyhound Girl
Old 08-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I subbed all last year, and I got a teaching job this summer for next year. I had a long term sub job for 3 months that was the same grades I will be teaching now. So while I was resentful and bitter about subbing, I see now how much last year is going to help me as a teacher. As for the money, I can relate! My credit score is shot now from defaulting on loans, and I was living on fumes for most of the year (and this summer). Subbing pay isn't great, but you can supplement your income easily with a few things I did. Sell plasma. I made $200 a month doing that, and it doesn't take long. Also, if you're savy with merchandise, I resold items I found at yard sales and Goodwill on Ebay. I also did freelance writing online and usually made a couple of hundred dollars there with easy assignments. Also, long term subbing pays a lot more than day-to-day, and you get experience and references. I say substitute teach and learn all you can- it will help you land a job.

ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

relocate?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As Aly7123 mentioned, are you able or willing to relocate?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 08-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Could you try to get a place with a roommate? Just to try and lower the cost or rent a little bit? If you have to get a job out of the teaching field ... you'll have to do it. Sorry dear! Sucks!

Good luck and keep trying. If you have to apply for jobs in high need areas. A job is a job sometimes. I had to do this my first year.
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

newsubLisa

Old 08-21-2017, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with the suggestions to sign up a substitute teacher. Sign up with several districts if you can. Subs are in high demand where I live right now, and someone flexible could probably work as much as they want. Being present in schools can also lead to long term sub jobs, or even permanent ones.
newsubLisa is offline   Reply With Quote