Help

Second Grade

Spelling during writing

>

golfgirl1

Spelling during writing
Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you handle students asking for words to be spelled for them during a writing assignment? Many times I will write the correct spelling for them on the board. I felt that if they saw the correct spelling enough times, they would learn to spell the word correctly. Other times I will ask them to tell me how they think the word is spelled and I will guide them as I write the word on the board. I'm just wondering how other teachers approach this.

golfgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 08-14-2017, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it is on our word wall then they are accountable for it and must spell it correctly in everything they write.

If it is a content area word, or a name, then I might write it on the board for everyone.

Any other words, they are told to stretch it out and write what they hear. I don't over focus on correct spelling. It is more important that they get their thoughts on paper than to spell every word correctly. If I see a pattern among students, then I can use that information when planning word work lessons.

Some children get so hung up on spelling everything correctly that it seriously affects their ability to write.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

golfgirl1

Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you. I appreciate your response.
golfgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Try again or Have a try
Old 08-15-2017, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a handout that is a table. It has their first try, a second try, and a peer try. The fourth column is standard spelling.

If it is from a current piece they copy their first try, then try again, then they quietly pass it to someone near them for the peer spelling. They shouldn't have to say anything. The peer does their best to spell it, then they bring it to an adult, who confirms one of the tries or writes the correct spelling in the final column.

If an adult is not available, they keep it on their desk for later.

It is great to watch them have silent little communication about spelling.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I generally do the same as you, golfgirl1 - write it on the board, sometimes with the student's input. I think kids get mixed up when we encourage invented spelling and they don't get feedback until much later (after the connection is lost).

But I like luvmycat's chart method a lot! They both try it themselves and get the correct spelling right in the moment.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 08-15-2017, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My class meets on the carpet together for a minilesson before writing independently. Right before they move to their desk to begin, they have the option to tell me one or two words each that they would like spelled and I write it on the board. It only takes a couple of minutes. Once they are at their seat, if they need something spelled that is not on the board, they have to check their desktop word wall, if it's not there, they sound it out. I have parent volunteers who meet one on one with students each week to edit their writing so most mistakes get corrected eventually.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-21-2017, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I encouraged students to underline any words they thought they did not spell correctly. Then, if it was going to be published, they would seek out the accurate spelling.

I also used the Have a Try sheet. They needed to make at least two attempts to spell it before consulting me or another person. They then were encouraged to write the word in their personal word finder.

You do need to model and practice the procedure, though. I did a minilesson telling them that I often have to try a word a couple of times to be sure it looks write. Because I really do . Then I do with a few of my own personal tricky words.

Be forwarned! Kids will come to you having only tried one spelling. Send them back to try at least one other way and them compliment the heck out of the parts they did get right
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote