Help

First Grade

Social skills program

>

bobcat

Social skills program
Old 05-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you use a web based program to support teaching social skills and emotional coping techniques? It seems like we are experiencing more and more children who come to school with no idea how to handle certain social issues. Many also have meltdowns because they don't know how to deal with things. Sadly, these are things that should be taught at home but once again, they fall upon the schools. We are looking for a web based program to supplement the teaching of such lessons.

bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

We use Second Step
Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by web based. Our entire school teaches Second Step at the same time once each week. It does have some on-line videos but the rest is discussion of pictures/scenarios, social strategies, and role play. Unfortunately, like everything else, once the lesson is over, the kids who lack social skills go right back to their poor behavior.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

Flowers Still

Social skills
Old 08-23-2017, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school also used Second Steps but not effective in my opinion. At another school, we had a Character Education program that really worked! Obstacles for that is every single person has to be on board, our committee met and made resources for every person on the monthly themes. Prinipal has to meet with kids to conference about a behavior issue . We chose kindness, responsibility, respectful, citizenship, etc. Everyone taught about manners first. How to ask to play with someone , etc. Very successful for our school. Because of PBIS, people in administration think this is the best. Unfortunately, after a student is retaught time and time again,. this program fails to teach social skills so student knows something before behavior starts. Only my opinion!
Flowers Still is offline   Reply With Quote