Help

Special Education

Student with LD Reading Fluency

>

teacher0729

Student with LD Reading Fluency
Old 08-23-2017, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a now fifth grader with a learning disability who is reading about 35-40 words per minute on a grade level text. She is reading at a second grade level. When reading words in lists, she is able to decode them but very slowly. When reading books/ passages, she often repeats words she has read, goes back to the beginning of a sentence several times to try to figure it out, and mixes up words that look similar or have similar meanings (jam/ jelly, then/ than etc). What are some things I can do to help her decode faster and more accurately? I feel like she knows her sounds- she just decodes so slowly and I'm not sure what I can do besides timed repeated readings!

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

rwinters

Your Kiddo
Old 08-23-2017, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would go back and assess her phonics and phonemic awareness to make sure she doesn't need support there first. In most cases, there is a reason for being disfluent. I would also look at sight words. If she is falling back on sounding words out--she has not mastered any other decoding strategy meaning those need to be taught. I have told students they can't use that as a strategy and need to look another one to use. That helps if it a habit.

Hope the ideas help
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirrelly1

Old 08-23-2017, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is she in a researched based phonics program like Wilson? If not look into that or Orton Gillingham based instruction for her.
Squirrelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 08-25-2017, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks! She was just admitted into special education so I used decoding by SRA for about a month with her but I'm not sure what I'll use this year. We have decoding and reading mastery available at our school. I'm going to start fresh with her and assess her phonics/ phonemic awareness and go from there
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote