Help

Special Education

Keeping chairs pushed in

>

readandweep

Keeping chairs pushed in
Old 08-22-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My new principal has been supportive so far - two days into the school year.

Today she nicely asked that I try and keep the chairs under the desk and tables when not in use. Safety.

Fine. But how do I play along/show I'm taking feedback?

I am a BD teacher who has three-four tables and stations set up around the room. Students and adults frequently need to move themselves and chair to different parts of the room.

Make everyone push in their chairs before transitioning? Have a helper push in all the chairs?

I'm really hesitant to fight this battle at this point in the year, but I want to show my principal I'm listening.

readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's hard to keep chairs in, I hear you. One thing I try to do is have adults remind kids to push in chairs as they transition from groups/activities.

But I have to say, I think it's dumb of your P to be talking to you about this on day two. Like you don't have other things to think about.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-25-2017, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
But I have to say, I think it's dumb of your P to be talking to you about this on day two. Like you don't have other things to think about.
I agree with this! I admittedly have no experience in this setting, but I feel like this isn't a battle I would bother fighting in a BD room. Do all of the kids transition to the next station/activity at the same time? How about trying to make that part of the routine (stand up, push your chair in, walk to your next station). Typically some of my younger kids have difficulty transitioning out of my room, so I've also withheld our PBIS tickets at the end of the group- I will say something like, "I will hand you your ticket when you're standing up and your chair is pushed in." That might be too simplistic for your setting, but it's typically what I do in my room.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote