Behavior System
Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What type of individual behavior system do you use in your classroom? TIA

scissorz is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I gave up strips and clip charts years ago. The ones who need it, it doesn't work for and those who don't need it are devastated when it is applied "fairly."

I handle indiscretions on a 1:1 basis, with a focus on interpersonal consequences. This is what I send home to parents:

Classroom Management
Rules in my classroom are few and I focus more on interpersonal consequences than punitive, external ones. I believe that as all children are different, and all actions and reactions very personal in nature, effective discipline involves a few overriding tenets rather than a long list of specific rules. Situations are dealt with as they arise with the focus on enabling the child to grow and learn from his or her actions.
Rules
Rule:
Be kind. Choose words and actions thoughtfully.
Interpersonal Consequence:
If you do not, someone’s feelings could be hurt.
Rule:
Be careful. Take care of your body and be considerate of classmates’ and teachers’ bodies. Do not hurt anyone or anything on purpose.
Interpersonal Consequences:
Someone could be injured. Make accidents right with apologies and reparations. (Reparations are actions you can take to make the person feel better.)
Rule:
Be safe. Do not leave the classroom, playground, or cafeteria without a teacher’s permission.
You could get lost. Kindergarteners need to stay with their teachers at all times.
Rule:
Be a good listener. When someone is speaking, close your mouth and open your ears. Listen with your whole body.
You could miss important information.
Guidelines for Student Behavior
1) You may engage in any behavior, which does not create a problem for you or anyone else.
2) If you find yourself with a problem, you may solve it by any means, which does not cause a problem for anyone else in the world.
3) You may engage in any behavior that does not jeopardize the safety or learning of yourself or others. Unkind words and actions will not be tolerated.
In ensuring that the above guidelines are adhered to, I will operate with the following principles as my guide:
• I will react without anger or haste to problem situations.
• I will provide consequences that are not punitive but that allow the child to experience the results of a poor choice, enabling him/her to make better choices in the future.
• I will proceed in all situations with the best interest of the whole child foremost in my mind – academic, social, and emotional well-being will be fostered.
• I will guide students toward personal responsibility and the decision-making skills they will need to function in the real world.
• I will arrange consequences for problem situations in such a way that the child will not be humiliated or demeaned.
• Equal is NOT always fair. Consequences will be designed to fit the problems of individual students, and they may be different even when problems appear to be the same.
• I will make every effort to ensure that, in each situation, the students involved understand why they are involved in consequences.

Behavior improved after adopting this. I think my non-system is more respectful and more beneficial to my students. Plus, I don't waste a ton of time managing clips and whatnot!
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Dojo points. Kids attempt to earn a certain number every day. If they do, they receive a "smelly" at the end of the day. They love their smellies! I keep a running total of points for each student & when they get to a set total, they may pick a prize. Sometimes prizes are tangible things & sometimes, they are coupons for fun stuff like, bring a stuffed animal to school, sit by a friend, etc.

I have also used brag tags necklaces which were too much work. I have seen brag tag stickers. I may try those. I like that they hit on academic successes as well as behavioral.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The amount of admin and parent support determines most of the management systems I have used over the years. What I learned quickly as a new teacher right out of school was not to set something up that is too complicated and time consuming. I have spent my entire career in the urban school setting and with that came many classes where poverty and crime shaped the emotional lives of children and their parents. This equals stress for them and sometimes not the best behaviors come to the classroom. I have not had a teacher aide for the last 25 years so more adult attention with 20 kiddies will not happen but would help.

Individual accountability is a numbered chart without names and a colored "ticket" goes inside if directions are not followed after a verbal and proximity warning. Ticket is put back in the "bucket" if student changes behavior and corrects it. Die cut paper shape goes home each day if the day was pretty good and no serious infractions. I don't tell parents everything but do communicate closely with parents if serious individual behavior plans need to be put into place. At trimester awards,citizenship certificates are handed out . Newsletters are done about every 3 to 4 weeks and five work and behavior habits are rated on a scale from 1 to 5. Positive student news is included in the newsletter.

Whatever you decide to do be consistent and communicate with parents. Too much communication of the negative will stop the parent from being on your side so be careful with that.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 08-13-2017, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with PP that your management style is going to be partly personal and partly dependent on your school situation. I'll share what works for me, but keep in mind that everyone is so different.

I have tried a lot of different systems including classroom money, clip chart, card flipping, sticker charts, prize boxes and more. Over the years, I've slowly been shedding those systems off. Last year, I decided to go without a formal system.

Generally, I try to follow this: Be consistently KIND and CLEAR.

Be Kind: Smile. Laugh. Get to know students personally. Let them get to know you by sharing personal anecdotes sporadically throughout the week. Give positive feedback. I use the positive points of Class Dojo (it's not tied to any prize). Give free gifts with no strings attached, just for fun (ex: stickers, lunch bunches, a chance to bring stuffed animals to school). Give frequent brain breaks with music and dancing.

Be Clear: Assume that every little thing (even how to use a glue stick) needs to be explained and give super detailed, specific directions. Describe what students should do with their Eyes/Mouth/Hands/Feet for most directions. Use behavioral narration throughout an activity so that students are crystal clear about what the expectations are. Also, be clear about the consequences of infractions and follow through consistently. Mean what you say and say what you mean.

This is what works for me

pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Zia explained my philosophy to a tee (might have to steal her wording!). However, we do have two positive reinforcement pieces in place as well. I find that, especially at the beginning of the year, it really helps me to solidify routines and expectations that they may be struggling with. We have an individual system that uses rainbows. If they are caught going above and beyond, or consistently exhibiting a specific behavior I'm looking for, they get to add a color to their rainbow (made of paper and put in a pocket chart). Once they finish their rainbow they get a little something (depends on the year). As a whole class we also have a "Star Jar". When the whole class does a fabulous job or gets complimented by another teacher they get a little something in the star jar. When there is enough for everyone they get to take it home. These are usually things like the free stickers we get with Scholastic, or cool shells I've found on the beach, or a class set of any trinket that someone donates. I tend to use both more in the beginning of the year, and then later when they seem to have forgotten a procedure or routine and need to get back in the habit. I also find that having these is helpful when we have subs because it gives them a little leverage.

One year I had a really really tough class. I ended up switching to the golden ticket system, and they got to choose their Fun Friday activities in the order of most tickets. I didn't love it, but for that class it was kind of a necessary evil.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

koala47

Hi Sbkangas5
Old 08-26-2017, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can you please explain how the golden ticket works? Where did students store their golden tickets and how did you keep track of them?

Silvana
koala47 is offline   Reply With Quote