Help

Gifted Education

Roll Call for a New Year

>

magoosmom

Roll Call for a New Year
Old 08-21-2017, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How about a roll call for a new year? Where do you teach, how do you teach gifted (inclusion, pull out, etc.) and what grades? Bonus points for anything more!

I'm Victoria and I teach gifted at a small, rural school in Mississippi but we are part of a larger district. I teach 2nd through 8th grades--which makes lesson planning my least favorite part of the job . This is my tenth year teaching gifted. I'm the only gifted teacher at my school. It's definitely pushed me to take initiative and work independently! My program is pull out and I get them between 4-5 hours a week.

My favorite part of the job is getting to watch my students grow up year after year. Least favorite is those darn lesson plans!

magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

sparklinteach

Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am also from Mississippi. I teach 2nd and 3rd grade gifted. This is my 12th year teaching, but only my 2nd year teaching gifted. I absolutely LOVE it and have no desire to ever teach regular ed. again. I have a different group every day (kiddos come to me once a week) for 5 hours a day. I teach 3rd graders M-W and 2nd grades TH, F. Our school does VEX Robotics. Some of our students (including my daughter) have competed at the World level. I'm really enjoying the units for this year and teaching some of my same students from last year. I teach at a wonderful school with great co-workers and support.

Maybe I'll see you at MAGC this year! Hope you have a good school year.
sparklinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

magoosmom

Old 08-23-2017, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yay for another teacher from MS! One of the middle/high schools in our district does VEX. My son actually worked with a robotics team for his engineering class.

I won't be at MAGC this year unfortunately!! They changed the dates to mid-October and that's our fall break. I hate missing it, especially this year with the new regs. One of teachers will be going though and I'm hoping she can bring back lots of ideas. I really like our new outcomes!
magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Fay, NC
Old 08-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi there. I'm Heather and I teach in Fayetteville, NC. I am starting my 20th year in education and my 4th in AIG. I work with about 80 students in grades 3-5. My role involves, pull out & push in service plus the case work for identification and consultation with the teachers that serve our gifted clusters. I have a lot of flexibility & freedom in the work I do with students. That is my favorite part. Over the years, I have received numerous grants that allow me to create what amounts to a Makerspace in my room for students to explore. However, I serve 2 schools and the one that gets the least amount of time provides me with a shared space so it is harder for me to offer them the same level of service. I am always creative about my scheduling and hope that this will be a year where I am better able to serve the students at that school.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote