First Grade

Please help!

>

FirstieFab

Please help!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,
So i was recently hired as a first grade teacher after spending five years in a PreK classroom. I was able to decorate my room throughout the summer and gather all the materials the teacher before me left behind so now I am focusing on lesson plans. But WOW am I overwhelmed and confused! I'm not too stressed about math, science, or social studies, but the language arts has got me going nuts! I have the McGraw-Hill spelling book but the Treasures series as the reading book, so many assessment books, and I just don't know where to start. I feel like I'm back to being straight out of college and it is a very uneasy feeling!

What series do you fellow first grade teachers use?

How often do you give tests?

What do you do the first couple weeks of school?

Sorry for the rambling on!! Thanks in advance everyone! Any help would be great!

FirstieFab is offline   Reply With Quote

KBTeacher

Treasures series
Old 08-25-2017, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Treasures has a lot of components and at our district they let us use it as a resource. That means we can use the stories or word activities we find helpful to cover the student objectives and not necessarily follow it page by page. Our weekly spelling tests are based on the high frequency words and spelling patterns in each week, so we may read the stories that contain that vocabulary. We also use the assessments related to each main selection. However, we are allowed to bring other resources and activities to supplement the lessons.

Have you asked your grade level how closely they cover Treasures or what assessment resource they use? There are several assessment resources in this adoption, but I wouldn't use all of it.

And actually, because the focus is on establishing rules, routines, procedures, etc. at the start of the year, my team has decided we will review the alphabet in general and the Kinder high frequency for the first week. Hope this helps. But look at your student objectives and pick the stories/activities that will help you cover that material.
KBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

1st grade
Old 08-26-2017, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd recommend the daily 5 book. It's a wonderful frame work for literacy and writing time. In addition the suggestions about setting up and teaching routines applies to other subjects as well.

Enjoy 1st grade. I spent 34 years there and it's the best.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 08-29-2017, 12:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my 12th year. If I were new to your district, I would be overwhelmed too. I've never taught with a basal series. My district does a balanced literacy framework: guided reading, shared reading, read alouds, independent reading, and writer's workshop. Absolutely no work books... just authentic reading and writing. If I were in your shoes, I would find out if it could just be used as a resource or if you have to use it all. Good luck!
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-29-2017, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi. We use the Reach for Reading curriculum. I would need 365 school days a year to cover everything. You just can't do it all. I pick and choose based on which parts will give me the biggest bang for my buck. Frequently I create or find my own activities online to teach the skills presented in the text.
TESTS - We give a spelling test, a quick foundational skills test, and 2 of the following (vocabulary, grammar/writing, or comprehension) every Friday. Our district gives us a schedule of which Reach tests we must give and when. First I would find out which tests your other grade level teachers give each week and work from there. Ask if they follow the curriculum verbatim or just use it a resource.
FIRST DAYS - We have the first 8 days to get to know the kids, teach classroom rules, practice procedures, and give beginning of the year tests to find out where kids are at. While I do individual testing for an hour each day, the kids do simple K-level learning stations - cut and paste (alphabet in abc order, sort pics by beginning sound, match rhyimng pics, etc), puzzles, playdoh (make name), listening center, computer time, partner reading with big books, make an ABC book (draw a picture for each letter), etc.
LATER - My regular schedule includes...
>Phonics & Spelling (30 min whole group)
>Reading Groups, Learning Stations, and Independent Reading (60 min)
>Shared Reading, Vocabulary (30 min. whole group)
>Writing Workshop (30 mins)

Hope this helps!

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

FirstieFab

Old 08-30-2017, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your help and your great ideas!
FirstieFab is offline   Reply With Quote